Post Workout Green Smoothie
Posted by Lisa on July 7, 2015 / 10 Comments
This post workout green smoothie is my “go to” green smoothie recipe. It’s filled with nutrient-dense ingredients, collagen powder and chia seeds.
I can’t believe that I haven’t shared this until now – it’s my “go to” green smoothie recipe! I seriously make it all the time. Now granted, I typically make green smoothies most often after working out, so it only makes sense that my “go to” green smoothie is also my “post workout” green smoothie. Either way, you’re gonna love it!
So why is this such a great post workout green smoothie? Let’s take a look…
- It’s packed with spinach, which is full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Spinach is also a good source of protein, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds (perfect for muscle recovery).
- It has collagen, a protein found in the connective tissues of the body (and which diminishes as we get older!). Collagen is important for supportive structure of the body, such as muscles, bones and ligaments – and prevents them from falling apart!
- It has whey protein powder (though you can use a non-dairy version). This delivers necessary protein and amino acids for increased muscle growth.
- It has chia seeds, which are high in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein – perfect for improved bone health. Additionally, chia seeds combat dehydration and studies have shown them to be on par with sports drinks for endurance events.
- It has avocado, banana and apple – nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables that provide the perfect amount of sweetness, healthy fats, energy and vitamins.
I drink many variations of green smoothies, but this version is awesome for those who need a cool drink after a long workout. And since I’ve been focusing on building muscle (which is harder to maintain as I approach 40 – eeek!) – this smoothie is power packed with the right vitamins, minerals, nutrients and essential proteins.
- Place all ingredients into a high powered blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
Other recipes you might like: