Zucchini Noodle Caprese (gluten-free)
Posted by Lisa on October 27, 2014 / 1 Comment
This zucchini noodle caprese is made from my favorite gluten-free pasta alternative, zucchini noodles – and inspired by one of my all time favorite salads, caprese.
Every time I make a new zucchini pasta or zucchini noodle (“zoodle”) recipe I say that it’s my favorite. I think it’s quite evident that I just love zoodles…and really anything on them. But I do think this zucchini noodle caprese is my “current” favorite. At least for the next week until I create a new recipe.
I’ve been fortunate to have traveled Italy twice. The first time during a European study abroad in college and the second time about 10 years later with my mom. Both times I literally ate my way through the country (and gained about 10 pounds!).
I was pre-celiac diagnosis at the time so everything in sight was edible. And delicious. But given all the pastas and everything I could eat, I kept going back to caprese. It’s so simple, crisp, flavorful and beautiful.
It’s now been 2.5 years since my celiac diagnosis and I can handle dairy in small quantities. So I decided to whip up this zucchini noodle caprese for a gluten-free pasta alternative. For those of you who are dairy-free, you’ll of course need to omit the mozzarella. But honestly, the pesto sauce is ridiculously good as well, so just consider it a zucchini salad with pesto and tomatoes.
PS – here’s more information on how to make and cook zucchini noodles.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz small balls of buffalo mozzarella (in water)
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet for 5 minutes on medium heat, tossing gently. Once toasted, place them in your food processor.
- Toast the cashews in that same skillet for 15 minutes on medium heat, tossing gently. Then place them in your food processor.
- Add the remaining pesto ingredients into your food processor except the olive oil. Pulse until the ingredients are mixed. Turn your food processor on while slowly pouring the olive oil. Process until your pesto is smooth and creamy, then set aside.
- Cut the ends off each zucchini and use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles. Place these into a large bowl.
- Cut your tomatoes in half and place into the bowl with the zucchini. Cut your mozzarella balls in half and place in the same bowl.
- Using a spoon or spatula, remove all of the pesto from the food processor and add to the bowl. Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you might like: