Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake is made from a blend of almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour plus a good amount of fresh lemon juice and topped with blueberries.
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 3 lemons juiced and zested (equals 3/4 cup juice and 3 tbsp zest)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 350° F (175° C).
Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with coconut oil or ghee. You can also line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
Combine all dry ingredients (minus the blueberries) in a large bowl and stir.
Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a hand-mixer on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds or until combined.
Pour half the batter into the springform pan and add 1/2 cup of the blueberries. Pour the remaining batter and add the rest of the blueberries on top of the batter.
Bake in the oven for 55-60 min. The batter will remain light colored on top, so use a toothpick to make sure the middle is cooked through.
- Don't forget to use a springform pan for this recipe. It's much easier than a regular cake pan.
- A few extra tips:
- If your cake sinks in the middle, your wet to dry ratio might be slightly off. Just reduce the lemon juice a smidge and add 1-2 extra tablespoons of coconut flour.
- I recommend fresh blueberries rather than frozen blueberries as frozen blueberries are heavier and may sink to the bottom. Frozen blueberries can also add extra moisture to the cake, so if you do use them you may have to bake a little longer. A few folks on instagram have posted they've done it with frozen blueberries with success though!
- If you pile a ton of blueberries on top (as I did) you'll notice the top may not get very golden. Don't use the color of the cake as an indicator of doneness. Make sure to use a toothpick and cook until it comes out clean. Every oven is different and you may have to cook slightly more or less time.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 16.7mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1.5mg