The BEST Carnitas (Slow Cooker Pulled Pork)
Create the most juicy and tender carnitas right in your slow cooker. Then broil it in the oven for the perfect crisp, golden edges. Watch the video above!
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 pound boneless pork shoulder or butt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and finely diced
- 1 orange juiced
How to Make Carnitas
In a small bowl place oregano, cumin, black pepper, salt, and chili powder, then stir together.
Trim any excess fat from the pork shoulder (but remember that some fat is good), then rub the spice mixture generously around the entire pork shoulder and place in the slow cooker.
Add the onion, minced garlic, jalapeno and orange juice in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours (until the meat falls apart).
Remove the pork from the slow cooker to a large cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. Don't get rid of the liquid as you will be using it later.
To Crisp In The Oven
Place the shredded pork on a baking sheet. Pour 1 cup of the reserved slow cooker liquid over the pork to keep it moist and tender.
Broil for 5-10 minutes or until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges.
- This is a great slow cooker with a ceramic insert and it's perfect for transporting!
- Getting the pork shoulder out of the slow cooker after it's cooked can be a little difficult, given that it's so tender and will likely fall apart. I recommend using a spatula underneath to support it when removing.
Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 406mg | Potassium: 559mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 232IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg