Coconut macaroons are easy and indulgent bite sized treats with a crispy coating, chewy interior, and dipped in chocolate!
Servings: 8 macaroons
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 4 ounces chocolate (optional)
Preheat your oven to 325F/165C. Add the egg whites, honey, vanilla extract, and salt to a mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl on top of a saucepan with 1-2 inches of simmering water (creating a double boiler). Stir the mixture for 5 minutes, until frothy and very warm to the touch.
Add the coconut and stir it into the mixture until it's well combined and no liquid remains.
Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) place mounds of the batter onto a parchment lined baking tray. Bake the coconut macaroons for 25 minutes, checking on them towards the end to make sure they're not browning too quickly. Let cool completely on the baking tray before removing.
If dipping the coconut macaroons in chocolate, melt the chocolate in 20-second increments in the microwave, until smooth. Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate and wipe any excess off on the side of the bowl. Return them to the parchment paper lined baking tray and chill in the fridge for 5 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm.
- To store: Homemade coconut macaroons can last up to one week in the fridge if kept in an airtight container.
- To freeze: If you’d like to enjoy these past one week, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Just make sure to layer parchment paper in between so they don't stick. To defrost, let it sit out at room temperature to soften before serving.
- Nutritional information is including the chocolate dip.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg