Potato Leek Soup
This vegetarian potato leek soup is one to cozy up with! It's loaded with veggies, has the dreamiest velvety texture, and is budget-friendly!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth or more for a thinner texture
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- freshly chopped chives and black pepper for garnish
Slice the stem and green leaves off the leeks, leaving the white and light green parts. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then chop across.
Place the chopped leeks into a colander and run under cold water to remove dirt and debris.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until softened (but not browned). Then add the garlic and stir for another minute.
Add the diced potatoes, salt, bay leaf, thyme, and vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Remove and discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until your desired level of creaminess. Alternatively, you can blend the soup in batches in a high-powered blender.
Top the potato leek soup with chopped chives and freshly ground black pepper before serving.
- Each serving is about 1 ¼ cup.
- For a thicker texture, blend until it's perfectly thick and creamy. But if you want to have chunky bits, don't blend all the way or spot blend.
- For a thinner texture, add 1 to 2 more cups of vegetable broth. This is also a great option if you've got a larger crowd to feed and want to increase the servings.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1258mg | Potassium: 1080mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1676IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg