Poached Chicken and Winter Vegetable Soup
Poached chicken and winter vegetables come together for a nourishing, hearty, healing soup recipe. With carrots, parsnips, celery, leek, onion, garlic and fresh herbs, this is a great cold weather soup.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 leek halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 parsnips peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- salt and pepper to taste
- flat leaf parsley for garnish
Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the garlic and leeks and sauté for one minute. Add the sliced carrots, parsnips, celery and onion to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour the broth and water into the pot and add the herbs and chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
With tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and gently shred with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot and simmer for an additional minute or two.
Remove the sprigs of thyme, tarragon and the bay leaf and discard.
Serve immediately with several leaves of parsley and any additional salt and pepper.
- This is my favorite brand of chicken broth. It comes frozen and it's thick, gelatinous and the highest quality. I always have several packets in my freezer.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 286mg | Potassium: 1424mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 10795IU | Vitamin C: 31.6mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 2.8mg