Recipe Developer & Food Writer
Downshiftology is a healthy food website, YouTube channel and media brand. It’s where you’ll find delicious, wholesome recipes and tips for simple, healthy living. All of the recipes on Downshiftology are gluten-free and prioritize fresh, seasonal, whole food ingredients.
Downshiftology is looking for a Recipe Developer & Food Writer (a creative, detail-oriented team player) to create approachable yet stunning and delectable recipes for the home cook. This position is not set in stone, but will likely be someone with a background in recipe testing, recipe development, sous chef/private chef/personal chef, meal prep, culinary education, nutritionist and/or food writing for national publications.
Under normal circumstances, this position would work lock-step with me in my home kitchen and studio to develop, test and photograph new recipes and finalize content. But given the craziness of 2020, this will be a remote position with the flexibility to work from home. Finding the right person and skill-set is key, so it can be a freelance, part-time or full-time position, depending on the right candidate.
Are you passionate about healthy food, wellness and love to cook? Are you an organized, go-getter who loves to create simple, flavorful recipes that adhere to specific diets? Are you a detail-oriented food enthusiast with a strong digital background? Do you thrive in a rapid, entrepreneurial environment? If so, this is the job for you!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Test, develop, annotate and deliver final recipes each week that align with the Downshiftology brand and archive of recipes.
- Write and edit recipe narrative in brand voice with helpful tips, storage guidelines, reheating instructions, meal prep ideas, and more, to make chef-level recipes approachable for the home cook.
- Work collaboratively with the team to strategize content calendar that supports annual business goals and digital endeavors.
- Research and pitch recipes to align with holidays, initiatives, themes and seasonality using data tools, keyword research and analytics.
- Stay abreast of food trends, diets, and relevant healthy food media.
Requirements and Skills
- Recipe Development: You have extensive restaurant/test kitchen experience and a passion for making healthy food taste amazing. You can easily make gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto and vegan recipes and know exactly the nuance of each diet for recipe substitutions.
- Writing Skills: You have excellent writing and a way with words. Your style is professional and authoritative, yet fun and approachable. Impeccable grammar and spelling is a must. The ability to craft click-y hook intros and write for SEO is even better!
- Tech Savvy: You have an in-depth understanding of online tools such as Google docs, Google trends, SEMrush (or other keyword research) and WordPress, along with a willingness to learn Asana and/or other organizational, task and scheduling programs. You also have advanced proficiency of social media including Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and Pinterest.
- Organizational Skills: This is a fast-paced team environment. You must be an unapologetic Type-A who can stay on top of deadlines and deliver high-quality results.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: The blogging and social media world constantly evolves. What works today may not work tomorrow. You must be able to adapt and embrace changes with a can-do attitude.
- Creativity: You are a creative thinker who can differentiate content, and provide never-before-seen, wow-worthy recipes that go viral.
- Positive Energy: You love helping others, people gravitate to you and you’re always smiling. We work hard, but we have fun while doing it!
- Education: You have a bachelor’s degree in a food-related field, a culinary degree, or professional kitchen experience.
Anywhere in the US, as it’s a remote work-from-home opportunity. If you’re local to Orange County, CA, even better.
Salary (dependent on experience).
How to Apply
To help us find the best person for this position, we have created an online application (approximately 30 minutes to complete). It is web based, so it is recommended that you fill it out on a computer. APPLY HERE: https://lisabryan609494.typeform.com/to/ZVE5Gy2c
Downshiftology was founded by Lisa Bryan, a former corporate healthcare executive turned health coach and online entrepreneur. After being diagnosed with several autoimmune conditions she realized her mission with Downshiftology was simple – inspire others to adopt healthier habits, prioritize wellness and feel amazing!
Downshiftology reaches 100+ million annually through the website, YouTube channel and social media. The highly-engaged community is truly unique with like-minded folks who aspire to take life “down a notch” – to get back to basics through simple ingredients, whole food recipes and a positive “can do” mindset.