20+ Best Soup Recipes to Nourish You
Updated Jan 31, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
These soup recipes deserve a special place on everyone’s dinner table. They’re soul-satisfying, incredibly healthy, and downright delicious. Choose from nourishing chicken soups, to hearty vegetarian soups, and everything in between.
A bowl of soup always hits the spot for a cozy and comforting meal. Plus, that warm steam rising up from the pot on those cold weather days is the best! So I’m excited to share all my favorite soup recipes that’ll mix-and-match vegetables and proteins (from ground beef to chicken to lentils) in a variety of ways. I’m confident you’ll love the recipes below (they’re well tested and loved) and find two or three new soup recipes to add to your weekly dinner rotation.
Best Easy Soup Recipes (and Stews!)
On busy weeknights I just love easy, uncomplicated soup recipes. Not only will they guarantee dinner on the table fast, but the simple recipes below are ohh so good and will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
Best Ever Chili Recipe: The next time you’re craving a classic beefy and hearty chili – this recipe won’t disappoint.
Cabbage Soup: It doesn’t take much to make this low-calorie, healthy cabbage soup, and that’s the beauty of it! Plus, it’s a great base recipe – just add your favorite protein to “beef” it up.
Lentil Soup: Everyone raves about this lentil soup — for good reason. It’s satiating, healthy, and has a delicious Mediterranean flair.
Taco Soup: We all love a pantry-friendly meal, and this taco soup puts those canned veggies to good use! All you need are ground beef, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and your favorite taco toppings.
Vegetable Soup: While some vegetable soups might be a bit bland and boring, this version if far from that! It’s loaded with flavor and uses the simplest vegetables to their full potential.
Chicken Soup Recipes
There’s a reason why chicken soups are our go-to when we’re feeling under the weather. They’re brothy, nourishing, and give us everything we need to feel better from the inside out. A simple chicken soup is a classic for a reason, but keep scrolling below for more ways of incorporating chicken into your next soup!
Chicken Soup: Nothing beats this classic chicken soup that will keep your immune system happy during cold and flu season.
Avgolemono Soup: It’s a Greek-inspired favorite! Lemony chicken and rice that’s naturally creamy (from blending a bit of the rice) is a light and fresh meal.
Hearty Healthy Soup Recipes
If you’re looking for a bit more heft to your veggie-forward soup, you’ll love these hearty, fill-you-up soup recipes. The extra carbs from rice, potatoes, beans, and peas always hit the spot.
Black Bean Soup: A few cans of black beans are transformed into one of the most delicious, perfectly spiced, Mexican-inspired soups.
Ultimate Vegetarian Chili: This chili will more than satisfy all the vegetarians at the dinner table. It’s layered warming spices, several varieties of beans, and a rainbow of vegetables.
Turkey Chili: Ground turkey is a blank slate for flavor, and this turkey chili recipe is ultra-flavorful and loaded with good-for-you ingredients.
Creamy Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Your favorite everyday vegetables are easily transformed into a warming, creamy bowl of goodness. Just give them a quick roast in the oven or sauté on the stovetop before you toss them into a blender. Alternatively, you can blend them in a pot with an immersion blender. Either way, the results are silky smooth and perfect for sipping on a cold day.
Potato Leek Soup: This soup needs to be on your list when leek season is in full swing! It’s loaded with veggies, super velvety, and budget-friendly.
Zucchini Soup: It’s the punches of garlic, onion, fresh lemon juice, and herbs that make this soup utterly delicious (even on a warm day). Oh, and did I mention it’s dairy-free thanks to creamy cashews?
Sweet Potato Soup: Sweet potato lovers can rejoice because this soup is everything you love about this veggie. It’s ultra-creamy with a natural sweetness that’ll have you going back for seconds.
Carrot Ginger Soup: Carrot and ginger are the ultimate nutritional powerhouse in this sweet, savory, and spiced soup! Top it with pine nuts, cilantro, and a swirl of cream for the final touch.
Cream of Celery Soup: Celery, onion, leeks, and coconut milk simmer into a super fresh and smooth soup that’s completely dairy-free!
Beet Soup: A stunning, sweet, and earthy soup that puts juicy beets front and center. Plus, it’s super gut and heart-healthy.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup: Although cauliflower itself is a bit on the mild side, don’t underestimate how savory this soup is. A combination of garlic, onion, and spices quickly amps it up!
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup: The perfect marriage between roasted, smoky flavors, and tomato-y goodness.
Cucumber Melon Gazpacho: When you need a chilled soup for summer, this gazpacho couldn’t be any more satisfying.
More REcipe Ideas
- Best Slow Cooker Recipes
- Favorite Chicken Breast Recipes
- Best Vegetarian Recipes
- Best Mediterranean Recipes
I hope the wide variety of soup recipes on this list helps you jazz up your soup routine! If you make any of these recipes, let us know how they turned out in a comment below.
20+ Best Soup Recipes to Nourish You
- Prep the vegetables. Turn the top broiler on in your oven. Slice the red bell peppers, tomatoes, and onion in half. Remove the seeds and stems from the bell peppers, the stems from the tomatoes, and the outer peel from the onion. Then, place these all on a baking tray drizzle the veggies with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Use your fingers to rub the oil and seasoning on both sides of the veggies.
- Roast the vegetables. Roast the vegetables for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top side is charred black.
- Steam the bell pepper. Use tongs to transfer the bell pepper to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 20 minutes, to steam the bell pepper.
- Add veggies to blender. When the other veggies are cool to the touch, remove their skins and transfer to a high-powered blender. You should easily squeeze out the garlic cloves from their skin as well.
- Blend. Add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, dried basil, and water (or stock) to your blender. Blend everything on high until smooth.
- Serve. Garnish with optional toppings and serve!
- On an early recipe attempt, I added fresh basil to the soup before blending, but it turned the soup a murky brown color. So I recommend dried basil rather than fresh basil in the soup. But you can use fresh basil to garnish.
- If you want to skip the roasting step, you could definitely used jarred roasted red peppers and canned tomatoes. Though I’d recommend dicing the onion and quickly sautéing with the garlic (mince it) in a little olive oil, to keep the flavor profile similar.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
This recipe roundup was originally posted February 2022, but updated to include new soup recipes for you!