Taco Soup (gluten-free)
This taco soup is guaranteed to be a family favorite. Made with ground beef, black beans, corn and tomatoes, it’s healthy, incredibly easy (only takes 30 minutes) and naturally gluten-free. You definitely won’t be missing the tortillas with this taco soup recipe.
Taco Soup Recipe
We’re in the middle of summer and here I am whipping up taco soup. Now, I could conjure up an excuse that I’m planning ahead for fall recipes (though you guys know I’m not very good at planning ahead), so the truth is this taco soup is just the easiest, tastiest, year-round soup recipe.
I love it and I think you’re gonna love it as well. Bonus – it makes for a fab Taco Tuesday meal without the need to fuss with any sort of gluten-free taco shells. Oh, and kids will slurp it right up. Are you excited yet?
Watch this quick video of my Taco Soup recipe:
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
This taco soup recipe can be made in a large pot on the stove in about 30 minutes. Or, if you’d like to “set it and forget it” you can make it in a slow cooker as well. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s loaded with veggies and protein, so it’s filling. In a good, nutrient-dense way.
The recipe instructions are pretty self-explanatory (and make sure to watch the video above), but I did want to mention one thing. When it comes to the beans, make sure you drain and rinse them. Canned veggies, especially beans, have been sitting in a salt water solution to preserve them. But that means they’re loaded with sodium. By rinsing them, you can reduce that sodium level by about 40%.
And even a salt lover like me (I run very low blood pressure) doesn’t need the extra sodium that comes from canned beans. So always rinse.
I use my homemade taco seasoning for this taco soup recipe. The same taco seasoning that can be found on my Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats. It’s a must-make recipe for any Mexican food lover. Hint hint, make a large batch.
For all of my dairy-free folks, I’ve kept this recipe dairy-free, though I did add the option of cheese on top. Given that Taco Soup is a Mexican-inspired recipe, I went with a light sprinkle of cotija cheese, but you could always use cheddar as well. Cotija cheese is quite the salty cheese (see, another reason to rinse those beans) and the great thing is a little of it adds a lot of flavor.
When it comes to toppings, get creative. Add some diced avocado, jalapenos and cilantro. You could also add a dollop of sour cream or a dollop of my dairy-free cashew sour cream.
This taco soup is loaded with flavor and the perfect amount of spices. It’s not only beautiful, but it tastes amazing and I guarantee the whole family will love it.
For other healthy, Mexican-inspired recipes, make sure to check out my Carne Asada Fries, Citrus Shrimp Ceviche, Chicken and Avocado Burritos, Black Bean Mexican Pizza, Steak Fajitas, Shrimp Tacos, Grilled Fish Tacos or Pulled Pork Street Tacos. And you can’t forget my Mango Margarita.
Taco Soup (gluten-free)
This taco soup recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite. Made with ground beef, black beans, corn and tomatoes, it’s healthy, incredibly easy (only takes 30 minutes) and naturally gluten-free.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 recipe taco seasoning (or 2 tbsp if you’ve made a large batch)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 3 cups water
- jalapeno peppers
- cotija cheese (or other cheese)
- sour cream
- cashew sour cream (dairy-free)
- In a large pot over medium heat cook the ground beef until browned. Drain any fat.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, taco seasoning and tomato paste. Stir and sweat the ingredients together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed cans of black beans, kidney beans and sweet corn. Then add the full cans of diced tomatoes, diced green chilies and water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours (or more) or high for 4 hours.
- To serve, ladle the taco soup into bowls. Then add your favorite toppings.
This is a great soup to cook in a large batch for healthy meal prep. You can freeze individual portions and reheat as needed.
For a meatless Monday or vegetarian/vegan option, you could easily replace the ground beef with quinoa.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1/5 recipe (approx 2 cups)
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 483.6
- Total Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 55.1mg
- Sodium: 857.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 62.1g
- Fiber: 17.9g
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Protein: 32.9g
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see!
Tag @downshiftology on Instagram and hashtag it #downshiftology.