Updated Jun 22, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Taco soup is guaranteed to be a family favorite. Made with ground beef, black beans, corn and tomatoes it’s healthy, incredibly easy (only takes 30 minutes) and naturally gluten-free.
Taco soup is just the easiest, tastiest, year-round soup recipe. Bonus – it makes for a fab Taco Tuesday meal without the need to fuss with any sort of gluten-free taco shells. Oh, and kids will slurp it right up. Are you excited yet?
This taco soup is loaded with flavor and the perfect amount of spices. It’s not only beautiful, but it tastes amazing and I guarantee the whole family will love it.
Taco Soup Recipe Video
This taco soup recipe tastes like a cross between chili and a taco – it’s delicious! And you definitely won’t be missing any tortillas with this flavorful recipe. Watch the video below!
How to Make Taco Soup
Taco soup can be made in a large pot on the stove in about 30 minutes. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s loaded with veggies and protein, so it’s filling. In a good, nutrient-dense way. Here’s how easy it is to make:
- Brown the ground beef on the stove
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, taco seasoning and tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes
- Add the drained and rinsed cans of black beans, kidney beans and corn along with the diced tomatoes, green chilies and water
- Bring it all to a boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes
- Serve it up, garnish and enjoy!
The recipe instructions are pretty self-explanatory (and make sure to watch the video above), but I did want to mention one thing.
When it comes to the beans, make sure you drain and rinse them. Canned veggies, especially beans, have been sitting in a salt water solution to preserve them. But that means they’re loaded with sodium. By rinsing them, you can reduce that sodium level by about 40%.
And even a salt lover like me (I run very low blood pressure) doesn’t need the extra sodium that comes from canned beans. So always rinse.
Make it in a Slow Cooker or Crockpot
Yes, you can use either! I make this taco soup recipe in a large pot on the stove (as it only takes 30 minutes). But if you prefer to use a slow cooker or crockpot to “set it and forget it” you could do so.
For the Freshest Taco Soup
Taco soup is all about the flavor and spices. So I recommend using my homemade taco seasoning for the freshest, most bold flavor. It’s the same taco seasoning that can be found on my taco salad and taco stuffed zucchini boats. It’s a must-make recipe for any Mexican food lover. Hint hint, make a large batch.
How to Garnish It
When it comes to toppings, get creative. Add some diced avocado, jalapenos and cilantro. You could also add a dollop of sour cream or a dollop of my dairy-free cashew sour cream.
For all of my dairy-free folks, I’ve kept this recipe dairy-free, though I did add the option of cheese on top. Given that Taco Soup is a Mexican-inspired recipe, I went with a light sprinkle of cotija cheese, but you could always use cheddar as well.
Cotija cheese is quite the salty cheese (see, another reason to rinse those beans) and the great thing is a little of it adds a lot of flavor.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes
You can’t go wrong with any of these reader favorites below:
- Carne Asada Fries
- Citrus Shrimp Ceviche
- Chicken and Avocado Burritos
- Black Bean Mexican Pizza
- Steak Fajitas
- Shrimp Tacos
- Grilled Fish Tacos
Taco Soup (Easy, Healthy & Gluten-Free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 recipe taco seasoning, or 2 tbsp if you've made a large batch
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce can) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce can) canned sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce can) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce can) canned diced green chilies
- 3 cups water
- jalapeno peppers
- cotija cheese, or other cheese
- sour cream
- cashew sour cream, dairy-free
- In a large pot over medium heat cook the ground beef until browned. Drain any fat.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, taco seasoning and tomato paste. Stir and sweat the ingredients together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed cans of black beans, kidney beans and sweet corn. Then add the full cans of diced tomatoes, diced green chilies and water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours (or more) or high for 4 hours.
- To serve, ladle the taco soup into bowls. Then add your favorite toppings.
- This is a great soup to cook in a large batch for healthy meal prep. You can freeze individual portions and reheat as needed.
- For a meatless Monday or vegetarian/vegan option, you could easily replace the ground beef with quinoa.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Originally posted August 2017, but updated to include new information.