Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats (dairy-free, paleo)
These taco stuffed zucchini boats are healthy, Mexican-inspired and 100% dairy-free. They’re the perfect party appetizer or main meal.
I’ve moved around a lot – as in, every two or three years. Sometimes the moves have been local and sometimes they’ve been overseas, but given how many moves I’ve made you’d think I’d be an expert by now, right?
Comes to find out…not so much. Because when I moved back to OC this weekend (in the middle of some crazy CA storms) I thought, this will be a piece of cake. I’ll be moved and settled in no time, especially as I’ve got very little furniture this time around.
Well, three days later and I’m still unboxing and getting settled. Ha. What I forgot about was all my recently acquired (and over-sized) photography gear and food props – I’ve accumulated a LOT.
Thank goodness my new kitchen has plenty of cabinets and storage space, with a modern, edgy, Scandinavian vibe (my fave). If you’re interested, I’ve been showing tons of behind-the-scenes on Instagram Stories.
But before I moved I shot one last recipe at my parent’s place – these taco stuffed zucchini boats. They’re easy, fun and totally Super Bowl appropriate (hint hint).
Stuffed zucchini boats are always a crowd favorite and since I’ve been on a Mexican theme lately with my carne asada fries, I figured I’d make these taco stuffed zucchini boats. But unlike the fries which do contain dairy, I decided to make this recipe 100% dairy-free for all my dairy-free folks.
The sneaky trick here is using cashew sour cream instead of regular sour cream. And guess what? Most people won’t know the difference, especially as these taco stuffed zucchini boats are loaded with so much flavor. But it does add a level of creaminess that’s just perfect. Of course, if you do eat dairy, feel free to use regular sour cream and/or cheese. Recipes are meant to be adapted to your personal preferences – I’m just here to inspire you. And hopefully I’ve succeeded with these taco stuffed zucchini boats.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4-5 large zucchini
Taco-Seasoned Ground Beef
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 2 avocados thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add the ground beef. Use your spatula to break up the beef. Add the spices, stir to combine and cook for 7-10 minutes or until browned.
- While the ground beef is cooking, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the insides.
- Place the zucchini on a baking tray and fill with the ground beef. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with a drizzle of cashew sour cream, a sprinkle of green onions and tomatoes, a few slices of avocado and some fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you might like: