Cilantro Lime Bacon Coleslaw
Cilantro lime bacon coleslaw is the ultimate addition to your next taco night or summer barbecue. Shredded cabbage is tossed with zesty cilantro lime goodness and crispy bacon bits for a mouthwatering and highly addictive slaw.
Bowls of guacamole and pico de gallo are taco night essentials. But when it comes to fish tacos (especially my shrimp tacos), this cilantro lime bacon coleslaw is a no brainer topping. It’s bright, refreshing, and the crispy bacon bits work amazingly in this slaw.
Coleslaw is one of my favorite summer recipes because you can serve it up as a side dish, a salad, or a topping on tacos, burgers, and more. It’s incredibly versatile, like a blank canvas for flavors, and you’ve seen me make a creamy coleslaw (the classic recipe) and a vinegar coleslaw (with no mayo). But you know I’m a sucker for anything “cilantro lime!”
Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw Ingredients
With just a handful of ingredients, this coleslaw comes together in a cinch!
- Bacon: Master super crispy bacon bits with my oven baked recipe!
- Cabbage: I’m using green cabbage, but feel free to add in some red cabbage for a pop of color.
- Cilantro: You’ll need just 2 cups of lightly packed cilantro leaves.
- Lime Juice: As always, fresh squeezed lime juice is always best!
- Olive Oil: Helps to coat the cabbage in cilantro lime goodness.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
4 Ways To Shred Cabbage
While it might be tempting to buy the pre-chopped coleslaw bag – fresh is the way to go. You’ll get much better results when it comes to both flavor and texture! Here’s a few ways to do it:
- Knife: Slice the cabbage in half, then into wedges. From there, slice along the vertical edge to make longer pieces or horizontally for shorter pieces.
- Mandolin: Once you’ve cut your cabbage into wedges, slice the with the cut edge down.
- Spiralizer: This is one of my favorites to slice in mere seconds! For an extra-large cabbage you may need to cut it in half. But for an average-sized one, just pop on the straight blade and twirl away.
- Box Grater: Don’t have the above tools? Don’t worry, a box grater will do! Just make sure to use the side with large holes on your grater.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Bacon Coleslaw
- Bake the bacon. Just pop it in the oven at 400°F for 18-20 minutes until crispy.
- Shred the cabbage. Using one of the above methods, shred the cabbage and toss it into a large mixing bowl. Add in the chopped cilantro as well.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, and drizzle it over the slaw.
- Toss it all together. Crumble in the bacon, give it a toss, and there you have it!
Ways To Use This Slaw
This slaw is the perfect way to add some fresh, zesty flavors to your meal. Personally, this is my favorite coleslaw for shrimp tacos. But here’s a few other ways to make the most of it.
- Add to tacos. While this is the perfect pairing with shrimp or grilled fish tacos, feel free to add it to classic carne asada tacos too!
- Add to a burrito bowl. Add some freshness to a carnitas burrito bowl or a barbacoa burrito bowl.
- Serve as a side. This will taste oh so delicious along with cilantro lime chicken, garlic grilled shrimp skewers, or juicy carnitas.
How To Store Coleslaw
Whether you’re making this for your weeknight dinner or an upcoming party, this slaw will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container to retain its freshness.
Are You A Cilantro Lime Lover?
I’ve got a few more delicious ways to incorporate this fresh and zesty flavor into your everyday meals!
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Easy Cilantro Lime Rice (Chipotle copycat!)
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice (the low carb version)
- Citrus Lime Vinaigrette
If you make this cilantro lime bacon slaw, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Cilantro Lime Bacon Coleslaw
- 8 ounce bacon
- 1/4 head of green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups (not packed) cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the bacon slices side-by-side on the tray. Then cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes or until it's reached your desired level of crispiness. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the bacon with tongs to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, add the cabbage, cilantro, and crumbled bacon.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Then pour the dressing over the slaw.
- Toss everything together and serve in a large bowl.
- You can slice the cabbage different ways depending on how you plan on serving this recipe. In these photos, I've sliced the cabbage chunkier, like a salad, but if you take a look at my shrimp taco recipe I've thinly shredded it as a topping.
- This is a relatively small portion of slaw (as I use it primarily as a taco topping), but you can always double the recipe for a larger portion or crowd. This has about 4 servings as a salad, but can top about 12 tacos in smaller amounts.