Grilled Fish Tacos with Citrus Carrot Slaw
These grilled fish tacos are topped with a delicious citrus carrot slaw and wrapped in cassava flour tortillas. They’re gluten-free, healthy and delicious.
Did you have a good Valentine’s Day? I made another batch of my vanilla bean cassava crepes with strawberry chia jam and taught myself Snapchat (which took several hours…and a dozen YouTube tutorial videos). Learning a new social media platform when you’re over 35 is hard work (ha!). But now that I’ve got it down, I’m starting to really enjoy it. So if you want to see fun and authentic behind-the-scenes snaps of my food, photography, travels and daily hijinks (which may include my cat…and our pet cows) – make sure to follow me. My username is: downshiftology.
But coming off all the sweet recipes from last week, I’ve definitely been craving wholesome, substantial meals again. Meals with protein, veggies, greens and herbs. Are you feeling the same? I love sweet treats…but let’s just say I’m happy that Valentine’s Day is only one day out of the year (otherwise, I’d have zero will power and probably eat tarts and soufflés and crepes everyday!).
It just so happens that today is Taco Tuesday – hooray! – and with the gorgeous 80 degree weather we’ve been having in SoCal (in February?!), tacos seem like the perfect outdoorsy meal. I was hoping to get down to the beach last week, because my toes are massively craving the sand…but that’ll have to wait until this weekend when I drive down to Orange County to visit my brother and some friends. I can’t wait.
So what’s in the citrus carrot slaw? Two types of oranges (navel and cara cara), carrots, green cabbage, cilantro and some lime juice. And let me warn you, it’s highly addictive. I had a little leftover after making these tacos yesterday, so literally just scooped it up and ate it plain for a snack this morning…it’s that good.
And nothing says warm weather like fresh grilled fish, right? I used fresh Alaskan cod in this recipe, but you could also use tilapia (or other flaky white fish), mahi mahi or even salmon. Any fish will do, because the real star of this meal is the sweet, tangy and sunshine-y citrus carrot slaw.
Once you make the slaw and grill your fish, pile everything onto a cassava flour tortilla (you know they’re my fave) and proceed to eat two (or more!) of these grilled fish tacos.
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and diced
- 2 cara cara oranges, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, julienne peeled
- 1 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 filets, cod (or other fish)
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe cassava flour tortillas
- avocado, for garnish
- Make the cassava flour tortillas (from this recipe).
- Mix all of the citrus slaw ingredients together in a bowl and set aside, to allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat and grill the fish on one side for 2-3 minutes. Squeeze the lime over the fish and season with garlic, salt and pepper. Flip the fish and grill for another 2-3 minutes. The fish will likely break apart and that's okay.
- Assemble the tacos by placing small pieces of fish in each taco and top with the citrus carrot slaw. Garnish with avocado.
Other recipes you might like: