Pulled Pork Street Tacos (with Cassava Flour Tortillas)
Growing up in SoCal, I’ve always been a fan of pulled pork street tacos. I’ve topped this gluten-free, paleo version with pickled red onions and pineapple.
There is so much goodness in this pulled pork street taco recipe I don’t even know where to begin. If you saw my recipe posts on Cassava Flour Tortillas or Herbed Cassava Chips, you know I’ve got a thing with cassava flour lately. I also completely swoon over pulled pork. And with Cinco de Mayo coming up, I’ve also got a thing with tacos (although, who doesn’t in California?!).
So I got to thinking – why not combine all of these for the most delectable gluten-free, paleo-friendly pulled pork street tacos? A smart idea, right? And let’s be honest. When it comes to the best street tacos ever, carnitas always wins. Hands down.
Now, given that there’s multiple recipes within this recipe, I have a few recommendation to be most efficient (and to not completely destroy your kitchen in one fell swoop, like I did):
- Feel free to make the pulled pork the day ahead and refrigerate. You can then heat up as needed individual portions or the entire batch for a party. When reheating, you can microwave the pork or saute it. For the saute method, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and place enough of the pulled pork to cover the bottom of the pan. Let it crisp up on one side for crispy, carnitas goodness.
- Make the cassava flour tortillas in the morning, cool fully and place in a Ziploc bag. Just make sure to add a small piece of parchment paper between each tortilla to prevent sticking. These can then be microwaved for a few seconds to heat up.
- Make the pickled red onion the day (or days) before hand. It will keep for a month in the refrigerator, so there’s no need scurry around at the last minute trying to whip it up.
These tacos are so delicious you’ll definitely go back for seconds. And probably thirds. So heads up, don’t fill up on guacamole!
- 1 recipe pulled pork
- 1 recipe cassava flour tortillas
- 1 pineapple, sliced into chunks
- 1 recipe pickled red onions (see below)
- 1 bunch cilantro, for garnish
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- All of the ingredients should be cooked as per their individual recipes. For the pickled red onion, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Blanch the onion slices in the hot water for 30 seconds. Remove the onion by pouring the pot of water over a colander. Set the colander of onions aside.
- Add the vinegar, salt and honey to the pot and place back on the stove on medium heat. Heat for 2-3 minutes, just until warm and the honey is dissolved. Pour the vinegar into a glass jar or container (with a lid). Add the onion slices, cover and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. then place in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- Assemble your tacos by placing a portion of warmed pulled pork, a few slices of onion, a spoonful of pineapple chunks and some cilantro on top of each cassava flour tortilla.
Other recipes you might like: