Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro, Lime, Bacon Slaw (gluten-free, paleo)
Posted by Lisa on September 10, 2016 / 7 Comments
These shrimp tacos with cilantro, lime, bacon slaw are a flavor explosion. The spicy chipotle shrimp are perfectly balanced with the slaw and avocado.
One of the things I find interesting about being a food blogger is the need to plan months in advance. Meaning, right now, other food bloggers probably have their holidays recipes cooked, photographed and are starting to post them, in order to gain traction before the fall/winter season. Me, well, you know I’m not so good at that. And I find it difficult, considering all the fresh produce still in season (the summer season) in California. I’ve got shrimp tacos on the brain when it’s a sunny 90 degrees out, not peppermint hot chocolates!
But, I will say that I’m trying to do a better job with the whole planning thing. Sooo…in the interest of better time organization, I spent last week jotting down recipe/video ideas for Oct – Dec. And to be honest, it got me excited for the holidays. These recipes brewing in my brain (if they turn out, of course) are gonna rock. Fingers crossed you’ll get them 3-4 weeks before a relevant holiday. Three weeks, not three months, but hooray for baby steps!
Speaking of baby steps, I totally forgot with my birthday travels to New York last week that it was my 2-year blogiversary! Two years since I clicked launch on this little website of mine…and having absolutely zero idea about food blogging. But really, it’s more like a 1.5 year blogiversary, considering that two months after I launched the site I jumped on a plane traveled around the world for 5 months. Ha! That’s how I roll.
But let’s jump into these shrimp tacos. Since I shot my video for How to Make Cassava Flour Tortillas this week, I had an abundance of cassava flour tortillas lying around. And actually doubly so. Why? Well, if you watch the video you’ll see me mixing all the ingredients together on camera. In reality, I got the camera all lined up and focused for the shot, quickly jumped back behind my marble countertop and started mixing. But…there was one little problem. I forgot to hit the record button! Doh. I literally mixed everything and was gearing up to change camera angles when I realized the little red light wasn’t flashing. And you can’t un-mix dough! So I quickly ran upstairs, grabbed more of all the individual ingredients and had to shoot the “mixing” scene again. Hello, double batch.
My favorite part about these shrimp tacos is the cilantro, lime, bacon slaw. It’s sooooo darn good. As in, eat it plain for dinner good. But add it to these shrimp tacos and oh, your taste buds will be happy. Especially since the shrimp have a little spice kick thanks to chipotle and cumin seasoning. You guys, these tacos are the bomb. Add in a few slices of creamy and delicious avocados…and I promise these shrimp tacos will become your new Taco Tuesday favorite.
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz bacon
- ¼ medium green cabbage
- 2 cups (not packed) cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 recipe Cassava Flour Tortillas, or alternative tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- Cut the bacon into ½-inch pieces and cook in a sauté pan on medium heat, until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon to a paper towel, to drain and cool.
- Thinly slice the cabbage and add to a mixing bowl. Roughly chop the cilantro leaves and add to the mixing bowl along with the bacon, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the shimp, olive oil and spices. Toss to combine.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can grill the shrimp.
- Assemble the tacos by adding several pieces of shrimp and topping with a spoonful of slaw and a few slices of avocado.
Other recipes you might like: