Creamy Chipotle Shrimp
Updated Feb 10, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This creamy chipotle shrimp recipe is a mouth-watering dinner you can whip up in just 30 minutes. Jumbo shrimp are coated in a creamy and zesty chipotle sauce, then topped with fresh herbs and peppers for a spicy kick. Shrimp have never tasted so good!
Nothing’s better than cooking up restaurant quality meals right at home. Especially when they’re easy to make yet look like dinner party showstoppers. This one-pan creamy chipotle shrimp recipe is one such meal.
It’s incredibly flavorful with just the right amount of kick to it – all thanks to chipotle peppers. Enjoy this on a bed of rice, zucchini noodles or sauteéd vegetables. Either way, this light and cozy dish is something that can be enjoyed all year round!
Simple Ingredients For A Healthy Dinner
You won’t believe how easy this recipe comes together with just a few ingredients. But one thing that makes this dish is the homemade chipotle sauce. Whip that up in a quick minute, then mix it in with the rest of the ingredients below.
- Shrimp: Frozen jumbo shrimp are my favorite, but any size will work.
- Red Bell Pepper: Red bell peppers have a sweeter flavor compared to green bell peppers.
- Garlic and Green Onion: Aromatic essentials to amp up the overall flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Always ties everything together!
- Chipotle Sauce: This homemade version is so easy and incredibly delicious. Much better than store-bought!
- Milk: Feel free to use any dairy or non-dairy milk here.
- Garnishings: Top it off with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeno peppers for an extra kick.
Creamy Chipotle Shrimp: The Best 30 Minute Meal
For this recipe, just sauté the shrimp for a bit – then let the sauce do the talking. Here’s how to make it.
- Sauté shrimp:In a pan over medium-heat, drizzle olive oil and sauté the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes. Then set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté bell pepper: Add in the bell pepper with extra olive oil and sauté for another 4 minutes.
- Add in the aromatics: Add the garlic, green onions, and season with salt and pepper. Give it all a stir.
- In comes the chipotle sauce: Mix in the chipotle sauce and milk. Bring it to a simmer, then add the shrimp back in.
- Garnish with the rest of the green onions, cilantro, and sliced jalapeno peppers. If you don’t want it too spicy, you can omit the peppers.
Tasty Serving Suggestions
These mouth-watering shrimp go with just about anything! You can spoon it over a base or serve it alongside savory sides. Either way, the below options will round out this quick and easy meal.
For a hearty dinner, serve this with:
- Rice: White rice, brown rice, wild rice, or any type of cooked rice works.
- Potatoes: Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes
For a lighter meal, serve this with:
- Veggie Noodles: Zucchini Noodles or cucumber noodles
- Veggie Rice: Cauliflower Rice or Broccoli Rice
- Vegetables: Roasted Broccoli or Green Beans With Shallots And Lemon
To make this recipe dairy-free, just swap the sour cream for cashew sour cream and use non-dairy milk. Super easy!
How To Store and Freeze
On a time crunch? This is the perfect freezer meal you can keep on hand.
- To Store: For storing leftovers, place them in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- To Freeze: Pour it into a freezer safe container or bag and store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- To Thaw: When you’re ready to eat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat on the stovetop or microwave. It’ll taste as good as new!
Creamy Chipotle Shrimp Recipe Video
Want to see how I make this recipe in my kitchen? Watch the video below!
More Easy Shrimp Recipes For Busy Weeknights
Tossing shrimp in a rich and creamy sauce is just one way to enjoy this seafood. But if you’ve got extra on hand, give these shrimp recipes a try. They’re oh so easy and just as delicious.
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Shrimp Tacos With Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Shrimp, Asparagus, and Avocado Salad
- Zucchini Pasta With Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Creamy Chipotle Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced with green and white parts separated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe chipotle sauce
- 1/2 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy
- garnish with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeno
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through and opaque. Remove them to a bowl.
- In that same pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the bell pepper and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the garlic, white parts of the green onion, salt and pepper. Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chipotle sauce and milk and stir to combine. Then add the shrimp back to the pan to warm through.
- Garnish with the green parts of the green onion, chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeno pepper.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.