Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro lime rice is a bright and flavorful dish that will freshen up any meal. Use it as a side dish for a seafood plate or as a base for a chicken or carnitas burrito bowl. Either way, this recipe is so easy to make and makes cooking rice a little more fun than usual.
Here at Downshiftology, I’m all about simplicity. Especially when it comes to the basics. Whether it’s chicken or pork, all you need to do is play around with a few seasonings and herbs. And once you’ve figured that out, you can turn any single ingredient into something completely different.
Today we’re turning the spotlight on a most loved pantry staple: rice. This simple grain adds a delicious fluffy texture to any meal. But once you add a few simple ingredients to it, it magically transforms.
Enter this cilantro lime rice. You’ve got fresh cilantro, zesty lime juice, and flavorful garlic. And it tastes just like your favorite staple item at Chipotle. So grab your bag of rice and let’s get cooking!
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe Video
While it’s easy to make this recipe, it always helps to watch a quick one minute video. Give it a watch below!
What Type Of Rice To Use
For this recipe, a long-grain rice is ideal. This type of rice produces firm grains that become light and fluffy after cooking. That makes it perfect for using as a side dish or as the base for a bowl.
There’s long-grain white rice, brown rice, Basmati rice, and so forth. You can choose your favorite. But I’ll be using a long-grain white Jasmine rice.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Rice
Besides cooking the rice, the rest of the dish comes together easily.
- Make sure to always rinse your rice before cooking. I normally rinse it in a fine mesh sieve, then drain it and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Then add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and salt, then give it a stir before adding the water.
- Bring it to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from heat (keep it covered) and let it steam for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add the lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro. Give everything a good toss, and serve immediately!
Ways To Serve Cilantro Lime Rice
I’d say this cilantro lime rice pairs well with both Asian and Mexican flavors. Pair it with a source of protein and a side of veggies for a perfectly balanced meal. Here’s a few ideas to get you started.
- Chicken Fajitas
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Carne Asada
- Orange Glazed Salmon
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Roasted Broccoli
- Green Beans With Shallots and Lemon
- Garlic Ginger Bok Choy
- Parmesan Truffle Sauteed Zucchini
You can meal prep this rice ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply microwave it for about a minute or give it a quick saute on your stovetop. You can also give it a quick squeeze of lime for freshness.
If you want to freeze this, store it in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, you can either thaw it in the fridge overnight or instantly microwave it. Microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring it through halfway.
More Rice Dishes
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup water, or broth
- 1 lime, juice and zested
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Rinse rice in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear, drain well, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Then add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and salt, and lightly toast and stir the rice for a minute. Then, add the water.
- Bring it to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat (keep it covered) and let it steam for 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro. Toss everything together and serve immediately!