Huevos rancheros is an authentic Mexican breakfast recipe that’s hearty, rich in flavor, and a delicious way to start your morning. It’s prepared from a freshly fried tortilla topped with a sunny side up egg, fresh salsa, beans, avocado, and a sprinkle of cheese. Whip up this easy recipe in just 10 minutes, but be careful. There’s no doubt that people will be coming back for seconds.
Why Is It Called Huevos Rancheros?
The name huevos rancheros translates as “ranchers eggs”. The idea of ranchers eggs comes from the fact that this is a traditional mid-morning dish among rural Mexican farms.
While this recipe normally consists of just eggs, tortillas, beans, and salsa, there are many variations to it as it gained popularity beyond Mexico. These variations include Mexican rice, avocado, or enchilada sauce. But for this specific recipe, we’re sticking to the traditional basics.
Huevos Rancheros Recipe Video
While this recipe is extremely easy to make (it’s just assembly mostly), it always helps to watch a quick video tutorial. Watch me put it together in the video below!
Huevos Rancheros Ingredients
This huevos rancheros recipe is a straight-forward recipe using just a handful of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tortilla: I’ve used my cassava flour tortilla, but you could use corn tortillas as well.
- Black Beans: Any can of regular or mashed black beans works with this recipe.
- Egg: Depending on how you like your eggs, you can make a sunny side up egg for that beautiful runny look or cook it all the way through.
- Salsa: For this recipe, I simply just diced tomatoes with cilantro. But you can also use any tomato salsa, like pico de gallo, that’s homemade or store bought.
- Cheese: I’ve used crumbled cotija in this recipe, which is traditional. Queso fresco also works great.
- Hot Sauce: A little dash of this provides the perfect amount of heat.
- Avocado: Add a few pieces to garnish the plate for creamy goodness.
How To Make Huevos Rancheros
Now that we have our ingredients lined up, let’s start cooking. Here’s how to make it:
- Fry the tortilla in a small skillet with oil on medium heat. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side until it gets slightly crispy. Then remove onto a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Fry the egg in the same pan until it’s cooked to your liking.
- Layer the huevos rancheros by adding the fried egg and black beans on top of the fried tortilla.
- Add the salsa (diced tomatoes and cilantro) and sprinkle cotija cheese on top.
- Slice avocado and add it onto the plate.
- Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of hot sauce to serve.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
If you’re still craving Mexican flavors, the recipes below won’t disappoint!
- The Best Guacamole
- Mexican Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- Carne Asada (so versatile!)
- Taco Soup
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Carne Asada Fries
- Steak Fajitas
- Classic Margarita
And if you’re craving more breakfast recipes with eggs, just peruse all my healthy egg recipes!
BEST Huevos Rancheros
- Heat the oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the tortilla and cook for 30 seconds on each side, until it becomes slightly crispy. Use tongs to remove the tortilla to a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- In the same pan, crack one egg. Fry the egg until it's cooked to your liking.
- To layer the huevos rancheros, add the tortilla to a plate. Top with black beans and the fried egg.
- Sprinkle the diced tomato, cilantro and cotija cheese on top.
- Slice the avocado and add a couple slices to the plate.
- Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of hot sauce, then serve.