Barbacoa Burrito Bowl
Feb 27, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This barbacoa burrito bowl is the best throw-together meal with layers of classic Mexican flavors. From zesty cilantro lime rice, to juicy beef barbacoa, to freshly made salsa, this homemade version will beat Chipotle’s burrito bowl any day.
Burrito bowls have honestly become a staple in my house. They’re so easy to toss together with a few meaty leftovers, rice, and fresh ingredients. And if you do the math, they’re a fraction of the cost of what you’d pay at your favorite Chipotle restaurant. Who doesn’t love that?
You’ve seen me make a carnitas burrito bowl, but when I make a large batch of meltingly tender beef barbacoa, it only makes sense to make a bowl out of that as well. I mean, just look at how tasty the photos look! And then, if I still have barbacoa leftovers, barbacoa tacos are on the menu next. Yes, I’m a little predictable like that.
Barbacoa Burrito Bowl Ingredients
Here’s a few essentials to build the ultimate burrito bowl. But keep on reading for more ways to spruce up your bowl!
- Barbacoa: Prep a batch of my slow cooker barbacoa ahead of time. This is where leftovers will come in handy!
- Cilantro Lime Rice: Can’t beat the punch of flavor that cilantro and lime add to rice.
- Black Beans: I always opt for black beans, but you could use pinto beans or really any other beans as well.
- Corn: You can use fresh, frozen, or grilled, it’s up to you.
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are always my go-to as they’re less juicy, so won’t water down your bowl.
- Avocado: Feel free to slice it or dice into cubes. Of course, you could always use guacamole as well.
- Cilantro: This fresh herb is an essential for garnishing any Mexican-inspired meal.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Let’s Make A Beef Barbacoa Burrito Bowl
- Warm up the barbacoa and cilantro lime rice. Pop them both into the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Layer your bowl up! First, add the rice as your base. Then add the barbacoa, black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes.
- Finish with garnishes. I love to add sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, and chopped cilantro and, but keep reading for a few more delicious ideas.
Get Creative With Flavorful Toppings
While this is a play on Chipotle’s barbacoa burrito bowl, here’s a few ways to make it even better.
- Have fun with different salsas. Make it a little fruity with mango salsa, chunky with avocado salsa, or perfectly spicy with my classic salsa recipe.
- Amp it up with flavorful sauces. Instead of sour cream, drizzle homemade lime crema or my best ever chipotle sauce for a smoky heat.
- Add some crunch. Slice up radishes or diced onions for a refreshing crunch.
- Get cheesy! I love to sprinkle cotija cheese on Mexican dishes, but you can use any shredded cheese.
Burrito Bowl Meal Prep Tips
Burrito bowls will forever be a meal prep savior! Just prep and store each ingredient into their own containers. They will keep for about 4 days in the fridge.
- Store the ingredients separately. Storing each ingredient in individual boxes is ideal to prevent sogginess. But if you’re out of containers, you can at least store the corn and beans together.
- Avocado comes last. Since avocado browns easily, slice your avocados the day of or right before you assemble the bowl.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Skip the trip to Chipotle and opt to make these recipes right at home. You won’t believe how delicious and easy these are to make!
- Carnitas + Carnitas Tacos
- Carne Asada + Carne Asada Tacos
- Chicken Fajitas
- Steak Fajitas
- Shrimp Fajitas
Barbacoa Burrito Bowl Recipe Video
Want to see how I assemble this tasty bowl? Watch the video below!
If you make this barbacoa burrito bowl, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Barbacoa Burrito Bowl
- Warm up your leftover barbacoa and cilantro lime rice in the microwave and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the rice, barbacoa, black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Top with salsa, cilantro and other toppings such as sour cream and cheese.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.