Carrot Ginger Soup
Updated Sep 24, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Simply put — this is the best carrot ginger soup you’ll ever make. It’s a mesh of warm winter flavors, has a smooth velvety texture, and boasts many nutritional benefits.
Looking back at my recipe index, it’s obvious I have a love for carrots and ginger. I often whip up a carrot dish, like my French carrot salad or honey glazed carrots, during cold weather months when I’m trying to get more color on my plate (gotta love beta-carotene). And then I lean towards ginger when I need an immunity boost – especially my ginger shots!
So with those two ingredients, I’d say this carrot ginger soup recipe is quite the nutritional powerhouse. Plus, it tastes ridiculously good and is super easy to make. A combination that can’t be beaten.
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe Ingredients
This recipe comes together beautifully with seven simple ingredients. Here’s what you will need:
- Vegetables: Carrots, ginger, and onion work together to make the soup deliciously sweet and warming.
- Broth: Use a vegetable broth to keep the recipe completely vegan/vegetarian. If that’s not important to you, then feel free to use chicken broth.
- Spices and Aromatics: A touch of cinnamon, salt, and a bay leaf are all you need.
Helpful tip: Make your carrot ginger soup extra special by swirling in coconut cream and topping it with crispy shallots, pine nuts, and chopped cilantro!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
How To Make Carrot Ginger Soup
There’s only two main steps to this recipe: roast and blend. Here is how to do that:
Cook the onions and garlic. Over medium heat, cook the onions until they’re translucent. Then add the ginger and garlic, and cook for another minute or so.
Cook the carrots. Add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes. Make sure to stir them around occasionally while cooking.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer. Add the broth, bay leaf, cinnamon, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
Blend the soup. Remove the bay leaf and blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer it to a high-powered blender. The result should be a perfectly pureed and velvety smooth soup.
Enjoy the carrot ginger soup all on its own, or top it with a swirl of coconut cream, crispy shallots, toasted pine nuts, and cilantro. It’s up to you!
What To Serve With Carrot Soup
- If you’re looking to slurp this alongside a warm, hearty protein dish, my crispy baked chicken thighs, baked chicken breast, garlic butter shrimp, or baked salmon, will all taste delicious.
- If you like a good old soup and salad combination, this soup pairs nicely with my kale apple salad, wild rice and arugula salad, roasted red pepper and chickpea salad, or za’atar roasted cauliflower.
I love to meal prep soups for the week — they’re easy to make and store away!
- To enjoy throughout the week: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days.
- To freeze for later: Pour any leftovers into freezer-safe containers (like my favorite Souper Cubes). They’ll keep for up to 3 months in the freezer! Then when you’re ready to eat, you can warm it back on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Make the most of other winter ingredients by turning them into these soups! And if you need more inspiration, check out my list of comforting soup recipes.
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Beet Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
Get back on a healthy kick and keep this carrot ginger soup in rotation. Once you make it, I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment box below!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced or finely diced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: coconut cream, crispy shallots, toasted pine nuts and cilantro
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add the onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pot and stir for another minute.
- Place the chopped carrots in the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, bay leaf, cinnamon and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to low for a gentle simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a high-powered blender. Blend the soup until it's pureed and smooth.
- Divide each portion of soup into a bowl. If you'd like, swirl one tablespoon of coconut cream on top and garnish with crispy shallots, toasted pine nuts, and cilantro.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
This recipe was originally posted November 2015, but updated to include new photos and information.