Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea Salad
Updated Feb 12, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This is quite possibly the best throw-together chickpea salad you’ll ever make. It’s loaded with roasted chickpeas, roasted red peppers, crisp cucumbers, pickled onions, lots of herbs (of course), and tossed in my homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
Unlike my garden-fresh Mediterranean chickpea salad, this version has a combination of smoky, tangy, and roasted goodness. Let me emphasize “roasted,” because the roasted chickpeas and roasted red peppers are what really makes this one heck of a salad recipe with amazing depth of flavor!
Funny enough though – this chickpea salad recipe came about from my budget meal prep (I was literally just tossing things together one day). So yes, this salad is not just super tasty and easy to make, but it’s an economical one to boot! That’s the beauty of most chickpea recipes anyways.
Roasted Chickpea Salad Ingredients
The best salads are a result of mish-mashing pantry staples with fresh fridge ingredients. There’s a few items you’ll need to make ahead of time, such as the pickled onions and roasted chickpeas. But once those are made, you can continue to enjoy this chickpea salad a few times over the week!
- Roasted Chickpeas: I’m using roasted chickpeas for this salad to give a toasty, spiced flavor. Trust me, it’ll taste a lot better than chickpeas straight from the can.
- Cucumbers: There’s nothing like freshly diced cucumbers in a salad – am I right?
- Roasted Red Peppers: You can roast red peppers on your own, but I’m using the jarred version to keep the process easy.
- Pickled Onion: Honestly, both fresh or pickled red onions would work great in this salad. But the pickled version adds a deliciously sweet tang!
- Herbs: Mix in freshly chopped parsley, or any of your favorite herbs for that matter!
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: I love the way this balsamic vinaigrette tastes in this salad. But you can use a lemon vinaigrette as well.
- Cheese: As always, cheese is optional. But crumbled goat cheese (or feta cheese) definitely amps up the flavor.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How to Make This Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea Salad
After the roasted chickpeas and pickled onions are prepped, the rest is quick and easy. Just slice and dice some of the ingredients, toss it all together in a bowl, and that’s it!
Ways to Serve This Chickpea Salad
A big bowl of this chickpea salad is pretty satisfying on its own. But I challenge you to treat this as a meal prepped ingredient. Think outside of the box and see what you can combine it with! Here’s a few ideas.
- Side Dish: This makes for a great side salad along with these Greek chicken kabobs, tuna meatballs, or a simple baked chicken breast and baked salmon!
- Wrap: Yep, you can turn this into a chickpea filled wrap! Lay down your tortilla, spread a layer of spinach, and pile on this salad before rolling it up. Want more protein? Toss in some shredded chicken!
How To Meal Prep
Like most chickpea salads, this one is pretty durable and great for meal prep. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 4 to 5 days.
More Easy and Healthy Salad Ideas
Summer is right around the corner, which means there’s plenty of room for these salad recipes in your weekly list.
There’s so much to love about this roasted red pepper and chickpea salad. Once you give it a try, I’d love to hear what you think in a comment below!
Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea Salad
- Toss. In a large mixing bowl, add the cucumber, roasted chickpeas, roasted red peppers, parsley, pickled red onion, and balsamic vinaigrette. Toss together until combined.
- Serve. Top the salad with crumbled goat cheese and serve.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.