Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Mediterranean chickpea salad is the ultimate summer salad. Chickpeas are tossed with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, feta, and parsley for a salad that’s light enough for an easy lunch and hearty enough for a dinner side dish.
The real pantry staple MVP is none other than a solid can of chickpeas. They’re utterly versatile in the sense that you can blend them into creamy hummus, roast into a bite sized snack, or use them as a vegan protein substitute for a filling salad.
In this case, we’re taking the salad route and making chickpeas the star of this dish. Accompanied by cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, feta cheese, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette – this is one hearty and vibrant salad filled with mediterranean flavors. It’ll keep you nice and full no matter how you serve it. And bonus, it makes for the perfect summer meal prep.
Chickpea Nutritional Benefits
Not only do chickpeas add a deliciously nutty taste to recipes, but they work wonders for your body and gut health. Here’s how.
- They have an amazing nutritional profile that provides a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- They provide a heavy dose of soluble fibers to help feed the “good” gut bugs in your microbiome, which can also help with digestive issues.
- They’re the perfect plant-based protein option that keeps you full and your appetite in control.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
A salad that’s simple on ingredients but big on flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chickpeas: We’re keeping this simple by using canned chickpeas. But you can soak dried chickpeas as well. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse and drain them before tossing into the salad.
- Vegetables: I find myself coming back to these few ingredients – and for good reason. Cucumbers, red bell peppers, red onions, and cherry tomatoes are a marriage of bright flavors and a refreshing crunch.
- Cheese: I’m using crumbled feta cheese to give it a Mediterranean flair.
- Herbs: Sprinkling in a bit of chopped parsley for a pop of freshness.
- Dressing: To maintain this salad’s light profile, I’m using my homemade lemon vinaigrette for just the right amount of zest.
How to Make This Chickpea Salad
One of the reason why I love this salad so much is that it’s incredibly easy to make. Just quickly slice and dice the vegetables, drain the chickpeas, toss everything in a bowl, then finish with a drizzle on the lemon vinaigrette. Done!
Ways To Serve This
While the name says salad, there’s room for creativity when it comes to serving.
- Salad: For an easy and light lunch, this salad will be your best friend. Plus, it keeps well for meal prepping ahead of time and storing in your bento box for the week.
- Side Dish: Serve this alongside chicken souvlaki or baked tuna meatballs to round out your dinner.
- Sandwich: Turn this into a smashed chickpea sandwich by first smashing your chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork. Toss it with the rest of the ingredients, then layer it in between bread slices.
Chickpea Salad Variations
Like other salad recipes, there’s always little ingredients you can add to switch it up. Here’s a few ideas.
Switch up the vegetables: Amp up the flavors by adding fire roasted tomatoes, pickled red onions, and chopped avocados. And if you’re a fan of leafy greens, feel free to toss in chopped spinach.
Switch up the seasoning: You can use a greek salad dressing for a different flavor profile or add a sprinkle of paprika to give it a hint of smoke. But play around with different seasonings to your liking.
An Easy Meal Prep Salad
To meal prep: What’s great about this salad is that it stores well without getting soggy and wilted like other salads. Just make a big batch and portion it out throughout the week.
To store: This will store in the fridge for about 5 days in an airtight container.
More Easy And Healthy Salad Recipes
With the summer heat in full swing, these easy salad recipes come together in a snap.
Want more Mediterranean recipes? Check out this roundup of the Best Mediterranean Recipes (so many to choose from!).
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- lemon vinaigrette, you can use as much or as little as you'd like
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the salad and give it a gentle stir.
- Transfer the salad to a large bowl and serve.
- To meal prep: What's great about this salad is that it stores well without getting soggy and wilted like other salads. Just make a big batch and portion it out throughout the week.
- To store: This will store in the fridge for about 5 days in an airtight container.
- This is my favorite serving bowl for large salads, it's beautiful!