Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Updated Jul 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Mediterranean chickpea salad is the ultimate summer salad. Chickpeas are tossed with fresh tomatoes, crisp cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, feta, parsley, and a bright lemon vinaigrette. Bonus – it’s light enough for an easy lunch yet hearty enough for a dinner side dish.
I’m a big fan of chickpea recipes and veggie-forward, vibrant meals. I love to make this creamy, classic hummus (or this beet hummus). And who can resist falafel? But when summer starts to creep in, this Mediterranean chickpea salad is on repeat. It’s deliciously fresh, perfectly filling, and one of those salad recipes you just can’t get enough of!
If cans of chickpeas are a pantry staple in your house, as they are in mine, then this recipe is super easy to whip up. The large portion of this salad makes it meal prep friendly and it’s durable enough to last the entire week! Plus, I’ll share with you a few other ways to enjoy this salad below.
Chickpea Nutritional Benefits
Not only do chickpeas add a deliciously nutty taste to recipes, but they work wonders for your body and gut health. Here’s how.
- They have an excellent nutritional profile that provides a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- They provide a heavy dose of soluble fibers to help feed the “good” gut bugs in your microbiome, which can also help with digestive issues.
- They’re the perfect plant-based protein option that keeps you full and your appetite in control.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
This is a salad that’s simple on ingredients but big on flavor. And that’s the beauty of Mediterranean recipes. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Chickpeas: We’re keeping this simple by using canned chickpeas. But you can soak dried chickpeas as well. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse and drain them before tossing them into the salad.
- Vegetables: Cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red bell peppers, and red onions are a marriage of bright flavors and a refreshing crunch.
- Cheese: I’m using crumbled feta cheese to give it a Mediterranean flair.
- Herbs: Sprinkle in chopped parsley for a pop of freshness.
- Dressing: To maintain this salad’s light profile, I’m using my homemade lemon vinaigrette for just the right amount of lemony zest.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How to Make This Chickpea Salad
One of the reasons why I love this salad so much is that it’s effortless to make. Just quickly slice and dice the vegetables, drain the chickpeas, toss everything in a bowl, then finish with a drizzle of the lemon vinaigrette. The perfect speedy dish!
Ways To Serve This
While the name says salad, there’s plenty of room for creativity when it comes to serving.
- Salad: For a leisurely and light lunch, this salad will be your best friend. Plus, it keeps well for meal prepping ahead of time and storing in your bento box for the week.
- Side Dish: Serve this alongside chicken souvlaki, Tuscan chicken, or baked tuna meatballs to round out your dinner.
- Sandwich: Turn this into a smashed chickpea sandwich by first smashing your chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork. Toss it with the rest of the ingredients, then layer it in between bread slices or add to lettuce cups.
Chickpea Salad Variations
Like many other salads, there’s always little ingredients you can add to switch it up and make it even more exciting. Here’s a few ideas.
- Switch up the vegetables: Amp up the flavors by adding fire-roasted tomatoes, pickled red onions, and chopped avocados. And if you’re a fan of leafy greens, feel free to toss in chopped spinach.
- Switch up the seasoning: You can use a Greek salad dressing for a different flavor profile or add a sprinkle of paprika to give it a hint of smoke. But play around with different seasonings to your liking.
- Use roasted chickpeas: For another twist on a chickpea salad, this roasted chickpea salad is the best combination of roasted chickpeas, cucumber, roasted red peppers, pickled red onion, goat cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette.
What’s great about this salad is that it stores well without getting soggy and wilted like other salads. Just make a big batch and portion it out throughout the week. It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Make the most of fresh summer produce with these easy side salad ideas! For even more options, check out this delicious roundup of the best summer salads.
This Mediterranean chickpea salad is just what you need to serve on a hot summer day (or any time of the year really). If you make it, I’d love to hear what you think in a comment below!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Add. Toss all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir. Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the salad and give it a gentle stir until well combined.
- This is my favorite serving bowl for large salads, it’s beautiful!
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
This recipe was originally posted August 2020, but update to include new information.