Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Mediterranean chickpea salad is the ultimate summer salad. Chickpeas are tossed with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, feta, and parsley for a salad that’s light enough for an easy lunch and hearty enough for a dinner side dish.
The real pantry staple MVP is none other than a solid can of chickpeas. They’re utterly versatile in the sense that you can blend them into creamy hummus, roast into a bite sized snack, or use them as a vegan protein substitute for a filling salad. So many chickpea recipes to choose from!
In this case, we’re taking the salad route and making chickpeas the star of the dish. You can go the roasted route and make my roasted red pepper and chickpea salad. Or the garden-fresh route, accompanied by cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, feta cheese, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette. This Mediterranean chickpea salad will keep you nice and full no matter how you serve it. And bonus, it makes for the perfect summer meal prep.
Chickpea Nutritional Benefits
Not only do chickpeas add a deliciously nutty taste to recipes, but they work wonders for your body and gut health. Here’s how.
- They have an amazing nutritional profile that provides a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- They provide a heavy dose of soluble fibers to help feed the “good” gut bugs in your microbiome, which can also help with digestive issues.
- They’re the perfect plant-based protein option that keeps you full and your appetite in control.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
A salad that’s simple on ingredients but big on flavor. And that’s the beauty of Mediterranean recipes! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Chickpeas: We’re keeping this simple by using canned chickpeas. But you can soak dried chickpeas as well. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse and drain them before tossing into the salad.
- Vegetables: I find myself coming back to these few ingredients – and for good reason. Cucumbers, red bell peppers, red onions, and cherry tomatoes are a marriage of bright flavors and a refreshing crunch.
- Cheese: I’m using crumbled feta cheese to give it a Mediterranean flair.
- Herbs: Sprinkling in a bit of chopped parsley for a pop of freshness.
- Dressing: To maintain this salad’s light profile, I’m using my homemade lemon vinaigrette for just the right amount of zest.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How to Make This Chickpea Salad
One of the reasons why I love this salad so much is that it’s incredibly easy to make. Just quickly slice and dice the vegetables, drain the chickpeas, toss everything in a bowl, then finish with a drizzle on the lemon vinaigrette. Done!
Ways To Serve This
While the name says salad, there’s plenty of room for creativity when it comes to serving.
- Salad: For an easy and light lunch, this salad will be your best friend. Plus, it keeps well for meal prepping ahead of time and storing in your bento box for the week.
- Side Dish: Serve this alongside chicken souvlaki or baked tuna meatballs to round out your dinner.
- Sandwich: Turn this into a smashed chickpea sandwich by first smashing your chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork. Toss it with the rest of the ingredients, then layer it in between bread slices.
Chickpea Salad Variations
Like many other salads, there’s always little ingredients you can add to switch it up and make it even more exciting. Here’s a few ideas.
- Switch up the vegetables: Amp up the flavors by adding fire roasted tomatoes, pickled red onions, and chopped avocados. And if you’re a fan of leafy greens, feel free to toss in chopped spinach.
- Switch up the seasoning: You can use a greek salad dressing for a different flavor profile or add a sprinkle of paprika to give it a hint of smoke. But play around with different seasonings to your liking.
An Easy Meal Prep Salad
What’s great about this salad is that it stores well without getting soggy and wilted like other salads. Just make a big batch and portion it out throughout the week. It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More Easy And Healthy Salad Recipes
With the summer heat in full swing, it’s a good idea to keep these salad recipes in rotation throughout the week. They’re light, filling, and make the best of summer ingredients!
This Mediterranean chickpea salad is just what you need to serve on a hot summer day (or any time of the year really). If you make it, I’d love to hear what you think in a comment below!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- lemon vinaigrette, you can use as much or as little as you'd like
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the salad and give it a gentle stir.
- Transfer the salad to a large bowl and serve.
- To meal prep: What’s great about this salad is that it stores well without getting soggy and wilted like other salads. Just make a big batch and portion it out throughout the week.
- To store: This will store in the fridge for about 5 days in an airtight container.
- This is my favorite serving bowl for large salads, it’s beautiful!