Lemon vinaigrette is a staple dressing recipe and instantly brightens any salad or plate of veggies. Made from just a handful of ingredients including fresh lemons, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey and garlic it’s incredibly easy to make, super versatile and tastes amazing!
When it comes to dressing recipes I have two favorites – this lemon vinaigrette and a balsamic vinaigrette.
I much prefer simple vinaigrettes over creamy dressings and find that their flavors enhance and elevate the fresh vegetables or ingredients your pairing with them. And did I mention how easy they are to make?
After you make this lemon vinaigrette at home I promise you’ll never buy it from the store again. Because when you make it at home you can tweak the flavor profile to make it a little more tart and citrusy or a little more garlicky or herby. You could even make it a little sweeter with just a smidge more honey. And let’s be honest, fresh is always best.
Tips for Making This Recipe
This dressing is simple to make (only takes two minutes!) but here are a few tips to make it your own:
- Always use fresh lemons over a store-bought jar of lemon juice. Fresh lemons will always have a stronger, more vibrant flavor.
- Many vinaigrettes call for a 3:1 ratio of oil to acid. I much prefer a 1:1 ratio as I’ve used in the recipe below. It’s a little less oily and far more flavorful. But feel free to adjust to your preference.
- The Dijon mustard adds that hint of spice and helps to emulsify the dressing. If you’d like it a bit creamier you can definitely add more.
- If you’re not a fan of raw garlic, you can swap in finely diced shallot for a milder flavor.
Two Minute Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
Once you’ve got all your ingredients out, it’s as simple as adding them to a small mixing bowl and whisking them together. That’s it!
You can use this lemon vinaigrette on a variety of salad, including my Lentil Salad, Shrimp, Asparagus and Avocado Salad, Wild Rice and Arugula Salad and Watermelon Radish and Cucumber Salad. But really, it’s wonderful on just about anything.
For More Dressing Recipes and Vinaigrettes
- Champagne Vinaigrette
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Avocado Dressing
- Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced (approx 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey, or maple syrup
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- This lemon vinaigrette will last for up to one week in the fridge in a sealed container (though it may lose some of it's bright flavor over time). Here are some of my favorite storage containers.
- Watch me make this lemon vinaigrette as part of my Meal Prep for Spring recipe video.
- If you do prefer a creamier dressing, give my lemon tahini dressing a try. And if you'd like to make this dressing Whole30 compliant, just omit the honey.