15+ Best Chickpea Recipes
Updated Jul 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Get inspired by these deliciously unique chickpea recipes! Chickpeas are incredibly versatile and can be turned into creamy hummus, crispy falafel, or tossed into light and fresh salads. Needless to say, there’s much you can do with a humble can (or bag) of chickpeas.
Why Chickpeas Are Simply The Best
There’s so much to love about chickpeas (or garbanzo beans). These little legumes are all kinds of amazing for your gut health, great for incorporating more plant-based options to your diet, and are highly versatile. But that’s just a quick summary of why chickpeas are on the rise. Here’s a closer look into the specifics.
- They’re wonderful for gut health. Meaning they’re packed with fiber – specifically insoluble fiber. This helps lower the bad cholesterol, feeds the good gut bugs in your microbiome, and builds a better overall digestive system!
- Packed with nutrients and protein. They’re a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and yes – protein! This makes them one heck of a meatless alternative with loads of health benefits.
- They’re light on your wallet. With chickpeas you’ll definitely get bang for your buck! One 15oz can only costs about $2, while a larger bag costs about $5 to $6 dollars. And that bag alone can make up to 6 servings.
- Versatility at its best! Chickpeas can be added into just about any type of meal, from curries to frittatas to patties. But let’s not forget about blending them into everyone’s favorites – creamy hummus and dips!
Chickpea Salads, Every Which Way
Chickpeas are the perfect way to give your salads a healthy protein boost. Plus, they’re easily adaptable when it comes to mixing with a variety of sauces and veggies. They add that hefty oomph! So whether you’re looking to make a zingy, fresh salad or a warm, spiced salad, chickpeas can do it all!
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad: This salad will take you to the Mediterranean coast with its combination of chickpeas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, feta cheese, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
- Chopped Broccoli and Chickpea Salad: This is almost like a blend between my broccoli salad and Mediterranean chickpea salad but with a fresh and crisp twist! Oh, and the creamy lemon tahini dressing really takes it over the top.
- Curried Chickpea Salad: This is basically everything you want in a curry-like salad. Nutty chickpeas, sweet raisins, crunchy carrots, cashews, and warming spices to tie it all together.
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Kale Sheet Pan Salad: Yep, this salad is made easy all in one sheet pan! It’s got contrasting textures, hearty enough for dinner, and the lemon-balsamic vinaigrette really amps up the flavor in this.
Healthy, Easy Chickpea Recipes That Make Weekdays A Breeze
Chickpeas will take you far when it comes to whipping up speedy weekday meals. I honestly just use them straight out of the can (after rinsing), and toss them into comforting soups and buddha bowls. But with a little roasting, they’re also great for adding a hearty crunchiness. Here’s a few ideas to get you started!
- Smoky Chickpea, Cabbage, and Lentil Soup: Smoky chickpeas, lentils, cabbage, and kale simmer together in this rich soup for a breezy weeknight dinner.
- Corn and Chickpea Bowl with Miso Jalapeno Tahini: Just give corn and chickpeas a quick sear for caramelized edges. Then toss it together in a leafy green salad with this spiced, creamy tahini sauce. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner!
- Chickpea, Spinach, and Chorizo Frittata: Make a batch of these robustly spiced chickpea frittatas on a Sunday, and you’ve got lunch and dinner prepped the following days!
- Chimichurri Chickpea Zucchini Noodles: This chimichurri chickpea mix is ridiculously simple and this entire meal comes together fast.
- Roasted Chickpeas: The perfect vegetarian snack that’s also super protein heavy.
Unique Chickpea Recipes That’ll Up Your Vegetarian Dinner Game
Opting for more meatless Mondays? Or need some fresh ideas for vegetarian meals? These unique dinner ideas give chickpeas a whole new look. Blend them into crispy falafels, stir into a rich curry sauce, or even make a crispy flatbread!
- Falafel: These cooked balls of chickpea and herb goodness taste amazing on their own with a side of tzatziki. Or turn them into a falafel wrap with extra leafy greens!
- Falafel Flatbread: If you’re a big falafel fan (like I am), you’re going to fall in love with this flatbread. Plus, there’s so many ways to top it. You can add a spoonful of Israeli salad and feta cheese, or even schmear baba ganoush with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts and chopped cilantro.
- Vegan Green Curry With Chickpeas: This luscious green curry with chickpeas, mushrooms, herbs, and cashews is quite the dinner sensation.
- Crispy Socca with Pear and Arugula Salad: Made from chickpea flour, this herby and nutty flatbread is a delicious gluten-free option. I love to top mine with arugula, thinly sliced pears and grated parm – but the choice is yours!
- Curried Sweet Potato and Chickpea Patties: These chickpea patties are packed with veggies, other good-for-you ingredients, and deliciously spiced, curry flavors.
- Coconut-Ginger Chickpea Soup: From the crunchy toasted coconut, to punchy mustard seeds, to the zingy chutney, this chickpea soup is everything you want on a cold day.
All The Hummus Recipes You Can Imagine!
Chickpeas in your pantry means a batch of fresh, homemade hummus is a must. You can go the classic route with lemon, garlic, and tahini. But for those extra veggies or herbs sitting in your fridge – roast or toss them into the mix for these extra fun and delicious hummus flavors!
- Classic Hummus: This creamy classic makes for the perfect centerpiece amongst fresh cut veggies. Or an addition to just about any Mediterranean recipe!
- Roasted Beet Hummus: A beautifully vibrant red hummus with heart healthy components? I’m all for that!
- Roasted Carrot Hummus: You’d be surprised what caramelized roasted carrots mixed with chickpeas, tahini, and fresh lemon juice can do in this delicious orange hummus.
- Green Goddess Hummus: Fresh leafy herbs turns the classic hummus into a deliciously creamy dip or spread!
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: This ultra creamy and slightly smoky hummus is perfect for snacking with sliced cucumbers and crackers.
- Pumpkin Hummus: Your classic hummus gets an autumnal twist with pumpkin flavors and fall spices! Perfect for a slow transition into the holidays.
- Chocolate Hummus: Chocolate and hummus? Yep, it’s a creamy (yet healthy) chocolatey dip that tastes amazing dipped with juicy fruits like strawberries or apples.
Next time you go to the market, don’t forget to stock up on a few cans of chickpeas! They’ll come in handy the next time you need to whip up a plant-based meal on the fly. I’d love to hear which chickpea recipes you love the most in a comment below!
15+ Best Chickpea Recipes
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cut the leafy stems off the beets, leaving approximately 2 inches attached and wash the beets.
- Lightly coat the beets in olive oil, place in a covered cast-iron pot or other baking dish and roast in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven and slice the tail and stem off the beets.
- Add the chickpeas, chickpea liquid, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and beets to a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Use the tamper and blend for one minute, until smooth.
- Transfer the beet hummus to a serving bowl and garnish with basil pesto, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.