Updated Oct 12, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
These roasted chickpeas are all about versatility. They’re soft enough to become the base of a salad, crispy enough to snack on, and extremely adaptable when it comes to packing some protein and texture to meals.
In short – there’s just too much to love about chickpeas (which I talk about in my list of chickpea recipes). I’ll normally use them straight out of the can, but the extra 25 minutes to roast them is well worth the wait.
Fresh out of the oven, these roasted chickpeas are great for adding instant crunch to your meals. Though, I will say that they do soften over time. But the slight softness makes them great for a chickpea salad. Nonetheless, they’re still one of the best vegetarian proteins that offer a delicious texture and hints of toasty flavor!
Ingredients For Perfectly Roasted Chickpeas
Just like any roasted ingredient, all you really need are a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Chickpeas: You can use either dry or canned chickpeas. But for convenience, canned chickpeas are the ideal choice!
- Oil: Any neutral oil will work here, such as avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
- Spices: You can use a variety of spices to really amp up the flavor. So choose your favorites! You just need about 2 to 3 teaspoons total… and spices blends are always a hit as well!
- Salt: Just one teaspoon is needed to give these legumes a hint of savoriness.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Roast Chickpeas
Roasted chickpeas are as easy as can be. But there’s a few things to pay attention to if you’re looking to achieve certain textures. This recipe achieves slightly soft insides with a crispy exterior (which is great for salads or stuffing into anything).
For an even crispier texture – I’ll run through a few tips in the next section below.
Rinse the chickpeas. Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the chickpeas and rinse them thoroughly under running water in a colander.
Dry the chickpeas. Place the chickpeas on a towel and gently pat them dry. Let them dry for a few minutes and remove any loose skins.
Toss in spices. Add the chickpeas to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Then toss with salt and spices until all the chickpeas are perfectly coated.
Roast the chickpeas. Spread the chickpeas into an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, giving the pan a quick shake 10 minutes in to make sure all sides are roasted.
Serve immediately. Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately while they’re warm and crispy!
How To Make Roasted Chickpeas Extra Crispy
As mentioned above, this recipe doesn’t achieve a deep-fried texture where it stays super crispy for a long time. But there’s still a few ways to give them a bit more crunchiness in the oven.
- Make sure your chickpeas are super dry. The drier the chickpeas are, the more crispy they will get. Otherwise, the combination of wet chickpeas and oil will soften and steam them as they roast.
- Don’t over do the oil. You might think that more oil will help make these chickpeas more crispy, but it’s quite the opposite. So stick with one tablespoon max. You just a minimal amount of oil to help the spices stick.
Roasted Chickpea Flavors
It’s time to dig into your spice drawer to give roasted chickpeas a flavor boost. Craving something a little sweet? Toss them in cinnamon sugar goodness. Want to bump up the spice levels? Opt for spices like cayenne or chili powder.
- Smoky: Smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder will do wonders for a heavier roasted flavor.
- Spicy: Toss them with cayenne or chili powder to amp up the heat.
- Sweet: You can never go wrong with cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat.
- Warm: Add some warmth with turmeric, ginger, and cumin – the ultimate curry combo!
What Should I Do With Roasted Chickpeas?
- Eat them as a healthy snack! Toss them in a bowl and munch away. Plus, you won’t feel bad since they’re loaded with protein and nutrients.
- Make them the base of a salad. Toss them with fresh ingredients such as diced cucumbers, roasted red peppers, onions, and lots of herbs – like in my roasted red pepper and chickpea salad!
- Top onto bowls. Place them in bowls as a vegan protein option, or simply sprinkle some on top for added texture.
How To Store Roasted Chickpeas
Pro tip – store roasted chickpeas in a container that’s not airtight. The air circulation will prevent the chickpeas from getting extra soft over time. You can also keep this container on your counter at room temperature for 4 to 5 days. If you’d like to store them longer, place them in an airtight storage container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Roasted Chickpeas Recipe Video
Watch how easy it is to make roasted chickpeas!
More Quick & Easy Snacks
Sometimes, the best snacks are derived from market fresh produce! Here’s a few more ideas!
If you make these roasted chickpeas, let me know how they turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
- 2 (15-ounce can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons spices, (see tips above!)
- Rinse the chickpeas. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the chickpeas and rinse them thoroughly under running water in a strainer.
- Dry the chickpeas. Place the chickpeas on a towel and gently pat them dry. Let them dry for a few minutes and remove any loose skins.
- Toss in spices. In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil. Then add the salt and spices. Toss everything together until the chickpeas are well coated.
- Roast the chickpeas. Spread the chickpeas into a single even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Give the pan a shake halfway through to make sure all sides are roasted.
- Serve immediately. Remove the chickpeas from the oven and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups of roasted chickpeas.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.