Roasted Beet Hummus with Basil Pesto
Beet hummus is made with oven roasted beets, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. It’s a vibrant and healthy snack or appetizer and I’ve topped mine with homemade basil pesto and parsley. So much flavor!
You can serve beet hummus with any vegetable of your choice (I’m partial to celery sticks and cucumber slices) or you can whip up my flax seed crackers which are made from four different seeds. They’re crunchy and perfect for scooping!
Roasted Beet Hummus
Hummus is one of my all-time favorite snacks and beets are jam-packed with nutrients. So when you add those together you’ve got yourself one vibrant (look at that color!) healthy snack or appetizer recipe.
But let me reiterate why this beet hummus recipe is the best. Beets are heart-healthy, fight inflammation and are great detoxifiers. Chickpeas are great for gut health and full of insoluble fiber which helps to feed the “good” bacteria in your gut.
So beets plus chickpeas make this roasted beet hummus a nutrient-dense, power-packed appetizer for you and your bacteria. And happy bacteria is a happy you.
How Do You Make Beet Hummus
Beet hummus is really easy to make. The only thing that takes a little while is roasting the beets, but that’s super easy. Here’s what you do:
- Roast the beets in a covered cast-iron pot or other oven-safe dish for 60 minutes.
- Add the other hummus ingredients to a high-powered blender, including the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic clove
- Add the beets to the blender once they’re done roasting
- Blend everything together for a minute or until it’s SUPER vibrant and ultra creamy
- Garnish with basil pesto and herbs to really jazz it up
Can you Freeze Beet Hummus?
You sure can! This is a decent sized amount of beet hummus so once I’ve made it I’ll frequently divide it between two meal prep storage containers. I’ll put one in the fridge to enjoy during the week and the other straight into the freezer.
The beet hummus will keep for several months in the freezer and you can simply thaw in the fridge when you’d like to enjoy it.
More Amazing Hummus Recipes
Watch this Quick Video of my Beet Hummus Recipe
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 2 medium beet
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chickpea liquid (or more, as needed)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Basil Pesto
- Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the stems of the beets, leaving approximately 2 inched attached. Wash the beets, lightly coat in olive oil (or avocado oil), place in a covered cast-iron pot or other baking dish and roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven and slice the tail and stem off the beets.
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and beets to a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Use the tamper and blend for one minute or until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the beet hummus to a serving bowl and garnish with basil pesto, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
- The recipe makes approximately 2 cups of beet hummus.