Updated Jun 19, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Falafel flatbread is a vegan and gluten-free bread made from a blend of herbs, vegetables, and chickpeas. It’s a unique take on a traditional flatbread that’s bursting with fresh and savory Mediterranean flavors. Just slice it into pieces and find out how versatile it is in the video below!
Lately, I’ve been receiving requests for a gluten-free bread recipe. Whether it’s to make sandwiches or to simply toast in the morning. But this question got me thinking of my socca recipe, which is a naturally gluten-free flatbread made from chickpea flour.
With chickpeas in mind, I started wondering if there was a way to combine my falafel recipe with my socca recipe for the ultimate herbed green flatbread. Well, after testing a few batches I am thrilled to say it was a success!
And here’s the best part. Not only is this falafel flatbread loaded with delicious Mediterranean flavors, but it’s packed with tons of protein, fiber, and nutrients (much more than your average gluten-free bread). I have a feeling you’re really going to love this one.
Falafel Flatbread Recipe Ingredients
This recipe uses almost the same ingredients as my falafel recipe, but with a few additions. For the initial mixture that will be refrigerated, you’ll need:
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans): Only use dried chickpeas. Canned chickpeas are too soft and wet, which means your flatbread won’t have the right consistency.
- Onion: I’m using yellow onion for a stronger flavor, but white or red onions work just fine.
- Parsley and Cilantro: Adds fresh flavors to this recipe and a vibrant green color to the flatbread.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves rather than garlic powder for the best flavor.
- Green Chile Pepper (Serrano Pepper): A small pepper adds a kick of flavor and spice without overpowering the falafel. You can adjust this to more or less, but don’t omit it without trying it first – trust me.
- Cumin, Cardamom, Salt and Black Pepper: These aromatic spices are commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking and have a delicious, earthy, and spicy flavor.
- Baking Soda: Provides a lighter texture to the flatbread.
After refrigerating, you’ll add the below ingredients to create the final mixture before flattening.
- Chickpea Flour: This adds starch and helps bind the mixture together so that the bread doesn’t fall apart.
- Olive Oil and Water: Helps bind the flour to the rest of the mixture.
How To Make Falafel Flatbread
Making this flatbread might seem a little intimidating. But once you break down each step, it’s actually really easy to make!
- Soak the chickpeas. The night before, soak the dried chickpeas in water. But make sure the water covers the chickpeas by 2-3 inches, as they’ll triple in size.
- Rinse the chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to your food processor.
- Add in the herbs, spices, and baking soda. Add the onion, parsley, cilantro, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, cardamom, black pepper, and baking soda to the food processor and pulse several times until the texture becomes grainy. Then transfer the falafel mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to an hour. Then remove from the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- Add the chickpea flour, water, and olive oil. Mix everything together with your hands until it’s well combined.
- Shape the flatbread. Flatten the falafel mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet. And gently press down with your hands to flatten.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Slice into individual pieces. Let the flatbread cool for about 10 minutes. Then slice it into rectangular pieces.
Ways To Use Your Flatbread
My favorite part about this recipe is the flatbread’s versatility. You can dip it into hummus, use it as sandwich bread, or pile on tons of fresh toppings. Below are a few of my favorite combinations to create a fresh meal or tasty appetizer.
- Ultimate green goddess sandwich with hummus, cucumber, avocado, sprouts
- Egg salad sandwich (or use avocado egg salad)
- Tuna salad sandwich
- Chicken salad sandwich
Healthy Flatbread Ideas
- Baba ganoush, topped with toasted pine nuts, chopped parsley, sprinkle of ras el hanut (Moroccan spice)
- Tzatziki, topped with tomato slices, microgreens, black sea salt, pepper
- Cucumber, tomato, red onion, feta, chopped parsley (essentially my Greek Salad)
- Guacamole (or avocado slices), topped with spinach, soft boiled egg (I used an 8-minute egg)
- Yogurt (or labneh), topped with cucumber salad
How To Store and Freeze
If you’d like to store leftovers, let them cool completely, then place them in an airtight storage container. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to use parchment paper to divide each flatbread if you’re storing in the freezer.
Falafel Flatbread Recipe Video
If you’ve made my traditional falafel recipe you’ll be a pro at this. But if you haven’t, don’t worry. I’ll walk you through the process step-by-step in the video below. Give it a watch!
More Healthy Mediterranean Recipes
If you love this flatbread, here’s a few delicious recipes that will complete your Mezze platter.
- Hummus (or Green Goddess Hummus)
- Baba Ganoush
- Tahini Sauce
- Lentil Salad
- Israeli Salad
- Green Shakshuka
Falafel Flatbread - Amazing Vegan Flatbread Recipe
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (don't use canned chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped (about a one large bunch)
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (about a one large bunch)
- 1 small green chile pepper, serrano or jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- The night before, soak the dried chickpeas in water. Make sure the water covers the chickpeas by 2-3 inches, as they'll triple in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to your food processor.
- Add the onion, parsley, cilantro, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, cardamom, black pepper, and baking soda to the food processor and pulse several times until it the texture becomes a fine grain. Then transfer the falafel mixture to a large mixing bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and add the chickpea flour, water, and olive oil. Mix everything together with your hands until well combined.
- Flatten the falafel mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Gently press down with your hands to flatten.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the flatbread cool for about 10 minutes. Then slice it into individual pieces.
- This recipe creates a 10.5 x 15 inch flatbread.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.