Avocado Egg Salad
Avocado egg salad takes your classic egg salad recipe and adds healthy avocado for a creamy, nutritious and tasty new recipe you’re sure to love. It’s paleo, whole30, low carb, keto and all around delicious.
When it comes to quintessential spring and summer recipes egg salad always comes to mind. It’s light, healthy and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner (I’m always a fan of breakfast items for dinner).
But if you’d like to kick your egg salad recipe up a notch and make your stomach happy, it’s as simple as adding an avocado and some fresh herbs. Think of it as the California spin on the classic. And I guarantee you’re gonna love it!
Tips for the Best Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
- Hard boil your eggs ahead of time. They key is to not overcook your hard boiled eggs. You definitely don’t want that green tinge around your yolk. Make sure to watch my hard boiled egg tutorial for boiled egg success every time.
- Don’t overly mash the avocado. Avocados are naturally creamy and as soon as you stir the ingredients together the avocado will start to break down. It’s always nice to have it a little more chunky, rather than the texture of guacamole.
- Use fresh herbs. I’m using chives and parsley, but you could also use cilantro, basil or even tarragon. Have fun with the flavors.
- Use homemade mayonnaise. Once you make homemade mayonnaise you’ll never buy it from the store again. It’s incredibly easy and tastes much better. If you prefer to not use mayonnaise, you could also use sour cream or yogurt (and opt for dairy-free on those as well).
How to Make Avocado Egg Salad?
It’s as easy as adding all of the items to a bowl and stirring together. Seriously. You can eat the avocado egg salad plain, topped on your favorite bread (I highly recommend my paleo zucchini bread) or on lettuce leaves.
This recipe is best made fresh, but you can store it in the fridge for up to two days. That’s less than regular egg salad, because after two days the avocados in this recipe will start to oxidize and turn brown. I highly doubt that you’ll ever have any leftovers though. In fact, you can easily double or triple this recipe as well. Enjoy!
Watch this Quick Video of my Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
Avocado Egg Salad
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and finely diced
- 3 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- lettuce leaves, optional, for serving
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Eat the avocado egg salad plain, topped on your favorite bread or on lettuce leaves.
- Make sure to watch my hard boiled egg tutorial for the best hard boiled eggs (every time).
- I also give tips on my guacamole recipe video for picking the best avocados without brown spots on the inside.
- This recipe is included as part of my Summer Meal Prep series. Make sure to watch that video for more delicious recipe ideas!