60+ Best Mediterranean Diet Recipes
Mediterranean diet recipes embrace vibrant foods that are rich in vegetables, fruits, legumes, lean proteins, and healthy fats. With a focus on plant-based ingredients and all sorts of seafood, these easy and healthy meals will have you feeling good from the inside out!
The Mediterranean Lifestyle
There’s a reason why many of us gravitate towards a coastal lifestyle. Not only does it connect us with our natural environment, but the temperate climate allows us to enjoy the simple things in life. In the realm of food, that means getting back to basics and putting fresh, easy, and wholesome ingredients first.
If this sounds familiar, it’s because that’s what Downshiftology is all about! Many of these recipes were inspired through my travels, helping me understand what Mediterranean cuisine really is. Here’s a few key components of Mediterranean recipes:
- Load up on veggies and fruits. You know I’m always trying to sneak in more greens! Veggies and fruits are nutrient dense, loaded with fiber, great for digestion, and boast a plethora of anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Opt for more fish and lighter meat. Fresh fish provides healthy omega-3 fatty acids and a variety of vitamins. And chicken is rich in protein that’s good for bones and heart-health. The key here is to keep a good balance, with the goal of incorporating more seafood into your weekly meals.
- Embrace legumes and grains. These plant-based options are full of fiber, protein, and as you might imagine, they’re quite filling. Plus, there’s so many creative ways to cook and eat them!
- Savor every minute of it. This lifestyle calls for slowing things down and enjoying time with friends and family at the dinner table. It encourages you to eat at a slower pace, appreciate each bite, and tune in to your body and avoid overeating.
Mediterranean Recipes For Breakfast
Loading up on vegetables and good-for-you proteins is highly encouraged, especially at breakfast. And good news – there’s an endless array of satiating breakfast ideas to choose from.
- Shakshuka: This is a classic Mediterranean dish that combines simmering tomatoes, onions, spices and poached eggs into a nourishing and filling meal.
- Sweet Potato Toast: Upgrade your “avocado toast” with sweet potato as the base, and top it off with a poached egg, spinach, avocado, and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Green Shakshuka: This healthy green spin on the classic dish is a great way to make use of leftover veggies in your fridge, such as Brussels sprouts, spinach, and zucchini.
- Kale And Butternut Squash Frittata: Frittatas are perfect for meal prepping – and this one’s filled with the best of winter vegetables.
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash: Turn you average breakfast hash into a colorful, nutrient-dense one that goes beyond just using white potatoes.
- Homemade Yogurt: Add this to a bowl along with fruits and nuts for a sweet and healthy way to start your morning.
- Breakfast Egg Muffins: Incorporate your favorite vegetables and proteins into the most delicious, on-the-go breakfast option (that’s perfectly portioned).
- Orange Shakshuka: If the fall weather is near, this shakshuka is a creative and delicious way to enjoy roasted butternut squash.
- Smoked Salmon Frittata: Salmon for breakfast is always a smart idea, and weaving it into a frittata couldn’t be more delicious.
- Easy Oatmeal Recipe: Last but not least, create sweet and savory oatmeal bowls for a hearty and filling breakfast.
Mediterranean Recipes With Legumes
You’d be surprised what you can do with a bag of lentils or a can of chickpeas. Sure, you can toss them into salads for an extra source of protein. But did you know you can bake them into a flatbread or blend into a hummus?
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad: Chickpeas are the star of this dish, accompanied by fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, bell pepper, feta cheese, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
- Best Hummus Recipe: Ah, a Mediterranean must-have for almost any meal. Dip it, spread it, or dollop it – this creamy blend of chickpeas is extremely versatile!
- Very Best Lentil Soup: Lentils are a mighty source of protein and work beautifully in a variety of soups – especially in this one with a smoky, savory flavor.
- Falafel: These little balls of chickpea goodness will certainly have you going back for seconds! Just don’t forget to drizzle them with my homemade Tahini sauce. It makes all the difference.
- Falafel Flatbread: If you’re looking to get extra creative, bake blended chickpeas and herbs into a delicious flatbread!
- Lentil Salad With Cucumber: Lentils and diced cucumber work wonders to create a crisp, refreshing side salad.
- Crispy Socca With Pear And Arugula Salad For another flatbread idea, use chickpea flour to make this nutty and herby socca.
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Snacks
In between meals, fruits, nuts, and fresh cut veggies are ideal when you want something to nibble on. You can also pair veggie sticks with creamy and flavorful dips to make them that much more enjoyable.
- Baba Ganoush: Roasted eggplant makes for a creamy, smoky, and insanely scrumptious dip.
- Green Goddess Hummus: This recipe loads a classic hummus with fresh herbs and veggies. The more greens the better!
- Roasted Beet Hummus With Basil Pesto: Roasted beets turns your average hummus into a vibrant red dip that’s so flavorful and aesthetically pleasing.
- Roasted Cauliflower Hummus: If you can’t eat chickpeas, roasted cauliflower does wonders to create a veggie-heavy, creamy hummus dip.
- Smoked Salmon, Avocado, And Cucumber Bites: Replace crackers with cucumber slices for these fresh and fun bites (that also have a dose of protein).
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: For a hummus that’s slightly smoky and oh so flavorful – you can count on roasted red peppers.
Fresh And Easy Mediterranean Salads
It goes without saying that salads are an easy way to toss together fresh ingredients. Just grab some of your favorite greens, fruits, and even seafood. Then tie it all together with the best homemade sauces and dressings for a flavorful-packed, satisfying meal.
- Salmon Avocado Salad: Pan-seared salmon is layered on top of spinach, avocado, tomatoes, and red onions for a salad that’s big on nutrients and flavor.
- Israeli Salad: A simple combo of diced tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, and fresh herbs goes a long way.
- Caprese Salad: Ripe tomatoes and creamy mozzarella make such a simple, yet elegant salad that stands the test of time.
- Easy Cucumber Salad: With the help of onion, dill, and vinegar, sliced cucumbers never tasted so good!
- Greek Salad: This veggie packed salad is a refreshing 6 ingredient combo, with the best greek salad dressing.
- Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh: Instead of using bulgur, I’ve swapped in cauliflower rice for a gluten-free option (without sacrificing flavor).
- Watermelon, Cucumber, And Feta Salad: Enjoy classic Greek flavors and juicy watermelon with a refreshing, sweet twist.
- Shrimp, Asparagus, And Avocado Salad: When asparagus is in season, whip up this creamy, filling salad dotted with shrimp.
- Melon Mozzarella Salad With Basil: This simple summertime salad is always a crowd-pleaser.
Veggie-Heavy Mediterranean Food
From leafy greens to root vegetables, all types of veggies are welcome in your weekly meals. Just don’t forget to utilize spices and aromatics to take each dish to the next level.
- Zucchini Noodle Caprese: When you combine zucchini noodles with your favorite caprese salad, you get a new dish that’s veggie heavy.
- Spaghetti Squash, Brussels Sprouts, And Crispy Shallots: Treat this as a side dish or top it off with a poached egg to make it a full meal.
- Sauteed Cabbage: You’ll be surprised at how flavorful caramelized cabbage becomes when you sauté it with onions and garlic.
- Warm Sweet Potato Noodles, Cabbage, And Lentil Salad: Aside from zucchini noodles, I love spiralizing sweet potatoes into this warm and hearty salad that’s ultra filling.
- Sweet Potato Soup: Rich, savory, and creamy, this roasted sweet potato soup is a must for cooler weather days.
- Celery Root Puree With Balsamic Roasted Beets: When this puree is mixed with balsamic roasted beets and pearl onions, the flavors are unreal.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup: Caramelized, roasted butternut squash brings out the most delicious flavor in soup form.
- Baked Sweet Potato: The beauty of a baked sweet potato is that it’s great as a side dish on it’s own. But you can also stuff it with veggies, legumes, and shredded chicken, plus a drizzle of tzatziki sauce for a meal in itself .
- Beet Soup: If you love beets, this vibrant, savory, heart-healthy soup is loaded with nutrients.
It’s All About Fish In Mediterranean Recipes!
As I mentioned earlier, fish is the go-to protein when eating Mediterranean food. From salmon recipes to tuna to cod, there’s so many delicious options to choose from. Bonus, they’re a no-fuss ingredient when it comes to cooking (hello 30 minute or less meals!).
- Baked Tuna Meatballs: You best believe that your canned tuna can be transformed into the most delicious, savory meatballs!
- Best Baked Cod: With the help of garlic, butter, and lemon, cod is baked into a perfectly flaky fish every time.
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp Skewers: Whether you’re indoors or outdoors, these grilled shrimp skewers are easy to make and marinated with the best garlic herb mixture.
- Dijon Baked Salmon: If you love an herby, dijon flavor – this recipe is a must!
- Scallops With Citrus Ginger Sauce: Sweet and tangy, these juicy scallops only take 10 minutes to make!
- Garlic Butter Shrimp: It doesn’t get any easier than this sauteed garlic butter shrimp. And you can top them on virtually anything.
- Tuna Salad: This classic comfort food is one to keep up your sleeve for busy weeknights. It’s crisp, creamy, and works well in a variety of meals.
- Zucchini Pasta With Lemon Garlic Shrimp: For an all in one meal, toss your garlic butter shrimp with zoodles!
- Salmon Patties: Need to switch up your salmon routine? Whip up these delicious salmon patties that are also freezer-friendly.
- Cucumber Melon Gazpacho With Ginger Shrimp: When you take a bite of the warm ginger shrimp and cooling soup at the same time, you’ll know just how good this is.
- Roasted Branzino With Citrus Pesto: Branzino is a delicious, delicate white fish that extremely versatile, but always tasty when topped with a homemade citrus pesto.
Light And Healthy Meat Recipes
When you’re in the mood for meat, opt for lighter options such as chicken, turkey, or duck. Then grill, toss, or mix those with fresh vegetables, and herbs for amazing flavor.
- Greek Chicken Kabobs: Drenched in the flavors of Greece, these chicken kabobs are easy to whip up and loaded with colorful vegetables in between.
- One Pan Chicken And Rice: Featuring bright and citrusy Mediterranean flavors, this one-pan meal results in the juiciest chicken and fluffiest rice.
- Grilled Chicken Souvlaki: Think of this as a simplified version of my Greek Chicken Kabobs, but tastes just as good with a vegan tzatziki sauce.
- Ultimate Chicken Salad: Enjoy simple diced chicken with crisp celery, green onion, fresh grapes, and a creamy dijon mayonnaise sauce.
- Zucchini Noodles With Chicken, Spinach, And Parmesan: Toss zoodles with chicken, spinach, and a sprinkle of parmesan for a light, yet flavorful dish.
- Roasted Balsamic Chicken With Brussels Sprouts: Oh boy are you going to love the balsamic glaze on these chicken thighs and sprouts.
- Basil Chicken With Kumquats: Dress your chicken thighs with red onions, sweet kumquats, and a savory basil seasoning.
- Poached Chicken And Winter Vegetable Soup: This soup is comfort food in a bowl. It’s healing, cozy and a great way to combine your chicken and veggies.
For days when you want to splurge on red-meat, here’s a few lighter favorites:
- Pork And Fennel Meatballs: You can eat these savory meatballs on their own, with a side of sauteed veggies, or toss them into a zoodle pasta.
- Rosemary Grilled Lamb Chops: For a delectable meal, these grilled lamb chops are so tender and appetizing!
Build Delicious Mediterranean Bowls
When you have leftover odds and ends, build a Mediterranean bowl! Start with a base of grains or leafy greens. Pile on fresh or roasted vegetables, chickpeas, falafels, nuts, seeds or olives. Then add a dollop of your favorite hummus blend or a drizzle of tzatziki sauce. Here’s a few tasty ideas for added colors and textures:
- Base: Broccoli rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or leafy greens.
- Cooked Greens: Roasted brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli, green beans with shallots and lemon, or garlic sauteed swiss chard.
- Fresh Greens: Diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, avocado or bell pepper.
- Potatoes: garlic herb roasted potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes.
If you make any of these delicious Mediterranean recipes, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
60+ Best Mediterranean Diet Recipes
- 3 tomatoes , sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella, sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
- salt and pepper
- Add a slice of tomato to a plate, then add a slice of mozzarella on top. Then continue alternating slices of tomato and mozzarella.
- Place fresh basil leaves in between the layers.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze over the entire salad.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then serve immediately!