Rosemary Grilled Lamb Chops with Mint Apple Sauce
These rosemary grilled lamb chops are full of flavor, while the homemade mint apple sauce is abundantly better than store bought mint jelly.
Ever since I was a kid, we always had some sort of lamb dish for the holidays – especially for Christmas and Easter. Rack of lamb, leg of lamb and lamb chops. Maybe it’s a kiwi thing?
If you’ve ever been to New Zealand you’ll have seen the thousands and thousands of little white dots that line the green rolling hills. Sheep! Lots and lots of sheep! I remember a trip we took back to New Zealand when I was 8 or 9 and thought it would be fun to count all the sheep as we traversed the countryside in our camper van. As you can imagine, that game lost all it’s fun and glory after I counted several hundred sheep with no end in sight.
One of the things I love about New Zealand (other than the gorgeous countryside, of course) is that much of the meat is naturally organic and grass-fed. It just is. And oh boy can you taste the difference. When I visited Queenstown several years ago for a girlfriend’s wedding, so many guests commented about how flavorful New Zealand meat was, whether it was a filet mignon or lamb chop. Quality absolutely counts when it comes to meat.
Thankfully, my local Whole Foods had this rack of lamb, straight from the motherland. Sure, it was pricey….but hey, it’s Easter! So I splurged.
Now, you can’t very well have grilled lamb chops without having mint jelly, right? Lamb and mint are two peas in a pod. But I had to laugh when making this recipe because all I could think of was the fluorescent, jello-like, green slime version of mint jelly we used to have as kids. God only knows how many horrible ingredients were in that!
So I whipped up a new version of mint jelly…more of a mint sauce, that’s bursting with fresh mint flavor and naturally sweetened with apples. And I’m totally okay admitting that after I made this, I literally spooned it into my mouth straight. It was that good. And btw – fresh mint is great for digestion (you know I love my gut health).
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter! Enjoy family time. Splurge on a little chocolate. And eat some rosemary grilled lamb!
If you make this, I’d love to see! Tag your photo with #downshiftology on Instagram.
- ½ cup packed mint leaves
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 rack of lamb
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all of the sauce ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well combined. Place the sauce in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- Slice the rack of lamb into individual chops. Place the olive oil, garlic and rosemary into a glass baking dish and stir together. Place the chops into the baking dish, coat both sides and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill on medium-high heat. Place the lamb chops on the grill for approximately 3 minutes each side. Let the chops sit for a few minutes before serving with the mint apple sauce.
Other recipes you might like: