Watermelon Salad with Feta and Cucumber
Updated Jun 19, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This watermelon salad is the best of summertime on a plate. It’s ultra refreshing, simple to make, and delicious as can be. All you need are fresh watermelon chunks, crisp cucumber, feta, mint, and a honey lime dressing that ties everything together. It’s the perfect summer salad for barbecues, picnics, dinner parties, and more!
Summer salads are my jam. That’s why I rounded up this marvelous list of summer salad recipes that makes eating out in the sun extra enjoyable. They highlight my love for simple and fresh ingredients — which is what this juicy watermelon salad is all about.
The combination of watermelon, feta, cucumber, and mint is cooling, hydrating, and deliciously sweet. I love it as a quick throw-together side dish for weeknight dinners, but it’s also great served in a giant bowl at all your summer cookouts (along with this grilled watermelon or watermelon smoothie). Might as well go big on a whole watermelon theme!
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Watermelon: The key here is to grab a perfectly sweet and juicy watermelon. If you need tips on how to choose the right watermelon, read the next section below.
- Cucumber: I’m using English cucumbers for this salad, but you could also use Persian cucumbers if you’d like. Just note that regular field cucumbers have thicker skin, so I’d recommend peeling those if you plan to use them.
- Feta Cheese: A fresh block of feta is always best! Then all you need to do is slice it into even cubes. You could also use goat cheese if you’re not a fan of feta.
- Herbs: Fresh mint adds a refreshing touch, plus it tastes delicious paired with the dressing.
- Dressing: This simple mix of olive oil, fresh lime juice, and honey gives this salad the oomphs it needs.
Find the printable recipe with measurements in the recipe card below.
How to Pick a Watermelon
While there are tons of ways to decipher whether a watermelon will be super ripe and sweet, here are a few of my favorite tips that usually result in selecting the best watermelon.
- Shape: Choose a watermelon that has an even shape versus irregular. That means no weird bumps and such.
- Color: Look for a darker green color rather than a light, lime green color. And if it has a patch of yellow, that’s actually a good thing. It means the watermelon had more time to ripen on the vine.
- Details: If you see lots of brown webbing or vein-like areas, that’s also a big sign the watermelon will be extra sweet! The webbing is caused by pollination of flowers on the watermelon.
- Sound: If you tap the watermelon with the palm of your hand or flick it with your finger, you want to hear a hollow sound.
How To Make Watermelon Salad
Make the dressing. Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, and honey in a small bowl.
Create the base. Add the watermelon, cucumber, and mint to a large salad bowl. Then pour the dressing on top and stir together.
Add the feta. Leave the feta out until the end, because the more you stir it, the more it’ll break apart. If you’re not concerned with cubes of feta, you can of course opt for feta crumbles. If you do so, I’d probably use half the amount.
This watermelon salad is best enjoyed fresh. Plus, it’s really easy to make and will be gone in a blink of an eye if you serve it to guests! But if you have any leftover, it will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Just keep in mind that the dressing might water down the salad a bit.
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Classic Fruit Salad: The perfect way to serve a variety of fruit at your next barbecue.
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad: Undoubtedly a summer favorite.
- Caprese Salad: A classic Italian salad that makes the best of fresh tomatoes.
- Classic Potato Salad: Nothing beats my mom’s tried and true recipe.
- Easy Cucumber Salad: This easy throw-together salad is perfect for a simple side.
Come watermelon season, this is a salad that should be on the menu frequently! Let me know your thoughts on it in the comment box below.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Cucumber
- 5 cups watermelon, cubed
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, sliced and quartered
- 1 ¼ cups feta, cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- Make the dressing. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Stir the salad. Stir the watermelon, cucumber, mint, and dressing in a large salad bowl.
- Add finishing touches. Add the feta and gently stir to combine. Garnish with additional mint if desired.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally posted July 2016, but updated with new photos and information.