Tomato Avocado Salad
Updated Jun 22, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This tomato, onion, and avocado salad is the prime definition of fresh and simple. There’s no tossing involved, just layers of 3 main ingredients in their most natural form.
For me, a fresh salad always has a special place on the dinner table. Especially when it’s as simple as this one – a tomato avocado salad – that takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Slices of juicy, on-the-vine tomatoes are layered with punchy onions and creamy avocado slices. For dressing, all you need is a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a little sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Seriously, how good does that sound? It’s almost a riff on everyone’s favorite caprese salad. But don’t be thrown off by its summery ingredients, because this salad can honestly be served all-year round. The garden-fresh flavors add a refreshing bite to a variety of meals. And the vibrant colors will brighten up any table from spring to winter. Now that’s what I call a forever, timeless salad you can depend on anytime, anywhere.
What’s In This Salad?
The name is pretty self-explanatory, but there’s a few little additions that add a fresh, bright touch.
- Tomatoes: I love on-the-vine tomatoes for bigger slices and maximum juiciness. But you can also use Roma tomatoes, or any kind you can get your hands on.
- Onion: Although I’m going with sweet yellow onions, choose your favorite! Yellow, white, or red onion will work beautifully in this salad.
- Avocado: Try to use an avocado that’s perfectly ripe for firm, yet creamy slices – not too soft and not too hard.
- Parsley: This is my go-to herb for a garden-type salad. But you can also use cilantro, especially if you swap in lime juice! That combo is pretty magical.
- Lemon & Olive Oil: A drizzle of splurgy, good quality olive oil and fresh lemon juice turns this simple salad into a mouthwatering one.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make This Tomato Avocado Salad
No joke, this salad takes less than 10 minutes to make. And with no leafy greens involved, all you need to do is layer the sliced ingredients on top of each other. It’s that easy! Here’s the order:
- Start with a spread of thinly sliced tomatoes on a large platter.
- Sprinkle the sliced onions on top, then add the sliced avocados and chopped parsley.
- Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil right before serving – that’s it!
Can you make this ahead of time? In my opinion, this is best made within one hour of serving, because the avocado will start to brown (though the lemon juice does help to delay that). Just make sure to wrap the plate up tight, and store in the fridge before serving.
You Can Never Have Enough Side Salads Right?
More veggies on the dinner table are always welcome! Here’s a few more easy ways to whip up something fresh and easy.
If fresh tomato salads are your jam, this tomato avocado version needs to be next on your list. If you make it, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Simple Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add the thinly sliced tomatoes to a large plate or serving platter.
- Layer the sliced onions on top.
- Then add the sliced avocado and chopped parsley.
- Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, before serving.
- When it comes to drizzling olive oil, I love to use this oil bottle. It allows for the perfect pour, and let’s be honest, it really shows off the beauty of the olive oil!
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.