Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes are an easy sheet pan recipe. They’re perfectly seasoned and will satisfy all your savory cravings. When the weather turns cold, whip up this comforting recipe and enjoy the sweet potatoes as a side dish, topped on a salad, or rolled in a wrap.
Sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables during the autumn season. They taste amazing sautéed, boiled, mashed and especially baked. But, roasting sweet potatoes gives them a whole new flavor profile with a crispy, caramelized edge and soft, smooth center.
Picking A Good Sweet Potato
While sweet potatoes are available all year round, their peak season is from fall to early winter. Here’s a few things to look out for when choosing the right sweet potato:
- Choose the orange and red skinned potatoes. These are known as the “moist varieties” and tend to be sweeter, creamier, and less starchy.
- Don’t be confused with yams. Sometimes the red and orange skinned potatoes can be labeled as yams. But these tend to be more starchy and dry.
- Look for smooth skins and no soft spots. Take a closer look and make sure there are no discolorations and that the potato is nice and firm.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
To get perfectly roasted cubes, there’s a few key steps to success. Here’s how to do it:
- Peel or don’t peel the potatoes, it’s up to you. Either way works with this recipe, so it’s simply personal preference. If you’d like a smidge more nutrients, leave the skin on. If you’d like a consistent texture, remove the skin.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Try to cut them all the same size so that they roast evenly. Then, place the cubes in a single layer onto a baking sheet, making sure there’s space between them.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in oil and seasonings. A couple tablespoons of avocado oil (or olive oil) will give the potatoes those caramelized and crispy edges we crave. And a little shake of savory spices like cumin, paprika and garlic powder take them next level.
- Roast at 425 degrees Farenheit for 30-35 minutes. Halfway through, toss the cubes around so that all sides are evenly cooked.
PRO TIP: Don’t crowd your baking sheet. If the sweet potato cubes are too close together, they’ll steam rather than roast and get crispy. It’s best to divide a large batch onto two baking sheets.
How To Season Perfectly
While sweet potatoes taste delicious with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a little extra seasoning really elevates the flavor. If you’re looking to add a warming, savory vibe to this recipe try roasting with a blend of cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
The amount of spices of I’ve added to this recipe is fairly minimal. It adds a burst of flavor without going overboard. This allows you to serve the roasted sweet potatoes with a variety of meals and flavors. Feel free to double the spice quantity listed in the recipe for more punch.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe Video (1-minute)
This is an easy recipe to whip up. But it always helps to watch a quick tutorial video. Give it a watch!
What To Eat With Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Once you’ve popped your sweet potatoes into the oven, it’s time to prepare an accompanying dish. Here are a few of my favorites:
Main Meal Ideas:
Mix it into these salads:
And If You Love Sweet Potato Recipes…
Looking for other ways to transform this vegetable? Give these a try!
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Egg Nests
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Warm Sweet Potato Noodles, Cabbage, and Lentil Salad
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Sage Walnut Pesto
- Curly Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Sweet Potato Toast with Poached Egg
Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Perfectly Seasoned!)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (2-3 potatoes), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Farenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- Peel the potatoes (if you'd like) and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the avocado oil and spices to the sweet potatoes. Use your hands to toss everything together until it's well mixed.
- Arrange the sweet potato in a single layer on a large baking sheet, making sure there's space between the cubes.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes. Stir the potatoes half way through to ensure all sides are cooked through.
- If you'd like the roasted sweet potatoes to have a stronger flavor, simply double the seasoning.
- Always use a strong, heavy duty baking sheet. It won't warp or bend in the oven.
- This is a great recipe to meal prep for fall. Check out my Fall Meal Prep video for more ideas!