Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sep 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Roasted sweet potatoes are an easy sheet pan recipe. They’re perfectly seasoned and will satisfy all your savory cravings. When the weather turns cold, whip up this comforting recipe and enjoy the sweet potatoes as a side dish or a variety of other ways (ideas below!).
Sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables. You can make a baked sweet potato, and stuff it with delicious fillings. You can make mashed sweet potatoes, for a more vibrant twist on classic mashed potatoes. You can make sweet potato soup, for an ultra creamy and nourishing soup. And you can make roasted sweet potatoes, which gives them a whole new flavor profile with a crispy, caramelized edge and soft, smooth center.
Now you can roast sweet potato very simply with just oil, salt, and pepper. But it’s the savory spice blend of cumin, paprika, and garlic that makes these little cubes of roasted sweet potato so delectable, and will want you making this recipe again and again!
Roasted Sweet Potato Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes: While this recipe is really versatile and you can use virtually any variety of sweet potato, see my notes below for a few tips!
- Avocado Oil: I’m using avocado oil today, but extra virgin olive oil works fine as well.
- Spice Blend: Equal amounts of cumin, paprika, and garlic, plus kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper really elevates the sweet potato.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
To get perfectly roasted cubes, there’s a few key steps to success.
- Peel or don’t peel the potatoes, it’s up to you. Either way works with this recipe, so it’s simply personal preference. If you’d like a smidge more nutrients, leave the skin on. If you’d like a consistent texture, remove the skin.
- Cut the potatoes into ½-inch cubes. It’s best to cut them all the same size so that they roast evenly. Then, place the cubes in a single layer onto a baking sheet, making sure there’s space between them.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in oil and seasonings. A couple tablespoons of oil will give the potatoes those caramelized and crispy edges we crave. And a little shake of savory spices like cumin, paprika and garlic powder take them next level.
- Roast at 425°F (220°C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Halfway through, toss the cubes around so that all sides are evenly cooked.
Pro Tip: Don’t crowd your baking sheet. If the sweet potato cubes are too close together, they’ll steam rather than roast and get crispy. It’s best to divide a large batch onto two baking sheets.
How to pick a Good Sweet Potato
While sweet potatoes are available all year round, their peak season is from fall to early winter. Here’s a few things to look out for when choosing the right sweet potato:
- Choose the orange and red skinned potatoes. These are known as the “moist varieties” and tend to be sweeter, creamier, and less starchy.
- Don’t be confused with yams. Sometimes the red and orange skinned potatoes can be labeled as yams. But these tend to be more starchy and dry.
- Look for smooth skins and no soft spots. Take a closer look and make sure there are no discolorations and that the potato is nice and firm.
Absolutely! I’ve kept the spice quantity in this recipe somewhat minimal so that the cubes are versatile with a variety of mains and salads. But you can double the spice quantity listed in the recipe card below for more even more savory flavor! You could also switch it up with my za’atar spice, taco seasoning, or cajun seasoning if you’re feeling extra spicy!
Yes! They’re actually one of my favorite winter meal prep ingredients. They’re easily reheatable and you can enjoy them as a simple side dish, topped on a salad, tossed into a breakfast casserole, added to a wrap, and so much more.
- Storing for the week: Any leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Freezing for later: You can certainly freeze any leftovers for up to 3 months, just know that they’ll go a bit softer upon reheating, due to the moisture content in sweet potatoes.
- For reheating: You can simply microwave them for 1 to 2 minutes, or until warmed through.
More roasted vegetables
If you love the sweet, tender flavor of roasted vegetables, I think you’ll also love these recipes:
- Roasted Broccoli: You can’t beat this quick and healthy side dish. Just toss it on another sheet pan!
- Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes: small baby potatoes are roasted with fresh garlic and parsley for a pop of green.
- Roasted Butternut Squash: The quintessential fall veggie gets extra sweet and caramelized in the oven.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Looking for a healthy, protein-packed snack? Or something crunchy to top on salads? Whip these up!
I have a feeling this roasted sweet potatoes recipe will become a winter staple! Once you make it, let me know your thoughts in the comment box below. You review helps others in the community!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Perfectly Seasoned)
- Heavy Duty Baking Sheet This is an essential for all my roasted veggie recipes. It doesn't bend or warp in the oven!
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (200°C). Peel the potatoes (if you'd like) and cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Add the oil, cumin, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper to the sweet potatoes. Use your hands to toss everything together until it's well mixed.
- Arrange the sweet potato in a single layer on a large baking sheet, making sure there's space in between the cubes.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring the potatoes half way through to ensure all sides are cooked through.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
This recipe was originally posted September 2019, but updated to include new information to help you in the kitchen!