Avocado Caprese Salad
Your classic caprese salad gets a California spin with creamy avocado! Just layer avocado slices in between mozzarella, juicy tomatoes, and basil, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil – it’s a quintessential summer salad.
When in doubt for what to serve – make a “caprese“. From this classic caprese salad to these fun caprese skewers, this simple combo of mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil is simply the best. But when you add avocado slices into the mix…it’s even better.
I may be biased since I’m a huge avocado lover – a Cali girl through and through! But, this avocado caprese salad is a stunning side dish or appetizer for all your summer get-togethers, or even just a nice dinner at home for two when you need something extra fresh on the table.
Avocado Caprese Salad Ingredients
Now, this may be a super simple salad recipe (my favorite kind). But the quality and freshness is what counts here. Good news though, some ingredients like tomatoes and basil thrive in the summer. So you’ll have plenty of options for fresh ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Mozzarella: Look for those big balls of authentic and creamy mozzarella. They’re typically packaged in a container with water.
- Tomatoes: Heirloom tomatoes are great for juicy, large pieces. But you can also use plum or Roma tomatoes. Just make sure they’re perfectly ripe with no green tints.
- Avocado: For the perfect slices of avocado, grab a ripe one – it’ll be slightly soft when you gently squeeze it.
- Fresh Basil: Whether you have a basil plant or not, keep an eye out for bright green leaves with a super fresh basil scent.
- Olive Oil: Stick with extra-virgin olive oil. A few brands I love are California Olive Ranch and Lucini.
- Balsamic Reduction: I love to use this Aceto Balsamico di Modena (balsamic vinegar from the Modena region). But any moderately priced one will work. And if you have a little extra time, make it into a thick and sweet balsamic reduction.
- Salt and Pepper: Use flaky salt (avoid table salt) and freshly ground black pepper for the final touches.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make This Avocado Caprese Salad
Before we start, grab your sharpest chef’s knife. This salad is all about beautiful, clean slices after all!
- Slice the tomatoes, mozzarella, and avocado into pieces that are about the same size.
- Alternate slices of the tomatoes, mozzarella, and avocado on a plate. You can line them up in a straight line, or in a curve for a fun design. It’s up to you!
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic reduction. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper. That’s it!
Storing Leftover Caprese Salad
Typically, a normal caprese salad can last for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. But since this has avocado in it, it’s best served and eaten right away so the avocado doesn’t brown.
Let’s Talk Summer Salads!
Every summer table deserves a big bowl of salad – every which way. So here’s a complete list of salad recipes for you to sift through, along with a few favorites below.
There’s nothing avocado can’t do, especially in this avocado caprese salad. Once you give it a try, I’d love to hear what you, your friends, and family think in a comment below!
Avocado Caprese Salad
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls (2 medium balls)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- Slice the tomatoes, mozzarella, and avocado.
- Alternate slices of the tomatoes, mozzarella, and avocado on a plate. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic reduction. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and top with basil leaves.