15 Fun Facts About Me
I say we get to know each other a whole lot better, shall we? In the spirit of sharing, here are 15 fun and quirky facts about me:
- My favorite colors are white and beige. Well, they were…until a friend mentioned that those weren’t colors! So it’s a good thing I also love teal, green, blue and purple. Which go great with white and beige (just saying)…in a clean, crisp, bright and happy kinda way.
- My first job out of college was teaching arts and crafts at Camp Wyonegonic in Maine. Apparently, I wasn’t quite ready to do the whole “real world” thing just yet. So I lived in a cabin with no electricity for three months.
- My most embarrassing moment ever – tripping on a handicap ramp in a parking lot in front of the US World Cup soccer team! (Yes, flinging my body and purse through the air!) And you know why I tripped? Because I was focusing on my newly done acrylic nails (it was 1993, after all!) and not watching where I was walking. Pure gymnastic talent.
- I’m a Virgo and ISFJ. And boy do these describe me to a T! That means I’m loyal, hard working, have a strong attention to detail (a nice way of saying I’m a perfectionist), like to help others, grounded, reliable, introverted, empathetic, conscientious and enthusiastic.
- I love cheeseball 80’s movies. Like Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Top Gun, The Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing, The Princess Bride, and Footloose. I could watch these a million times…and I may have done so by now.
- I’ve traveled to all 7 continents. And to this day, Antarctica is still my favorite. Because really, how cool is it to say that I’ve kayaked with penguins in Antarctica? But those who know me find this funny. Why? Because I’m the California girl who can’t stand cold weather!
- I lived in Afghanistan for a year working for the UN. Clearly, I have an innate ability to jump at crazy opportunities (*see Antarctica). After grad school (MBA) most went the corporate route. And me, well, two days later I was on a plane to Kabul. It’s still one of the best experiences of my life. Oh, and I can now shoot an AK-47. ;)
- I have one cat. From Afghanistan. And it’s a whole ‘nother story on how I got her back to the United States! Her name is Tasha. That’s short for Tashakor, which means “thank you” in Dari. So yes, I named my cat thank you.
- When I type, I sometimes like to use three dots…instead of a comma. It just feels more me.
- Most heart pounding moment ever? Bungee jumping 141 feet from the Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown, NZ when I was 17. My dad and brother were going to do it with me, but they chickened out at the last minute.
- I became a dual citizen in 2014! I was born in New Zealand but moved to the US when I was two. After 35 years as a kiwi living in the States, I figured what the heck…might as well become an American as well.
- I love bacon and dark chocolate. Thankfully, both of these are gluten-free. It’s all about the small wins.
- Public speaking = biggest fear. Even though my whole career has been in marketing, the thought of public speaking still turns my stomach into knots.
- I have my motorcycle license…though I haven’t used it in 10 years and I’d probably kill someone if I tried! Why did I get it? I thought it would be fun to learn something new. But if I’m being honest, I think it was because some guy said that girls can’t ride. Nothing like a challenge to collect a new talent! (*UPDATE – after riding a motorbike around Southeast Asia for 4 months in 2015, I’m happy to report that all those old skills came back to me!)
- My nickname growing up was “smiley.”
Alright, now it’s your turn. In the comments below, tell me one interesting, fun, quirky or entertaining thing about you. Enquiring minds want to know!