Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Aug 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This mint chocolate chip mug cake is made in under 5 minutes! It’s the perfect single-serving dessert that’s soft and moist, chocolatey rich, and has a refreshing peppermint touch. Enjoy this easy dessert for yourself or quickly whip up several mug cakes for guests!
My chocolate mug cake recipe has been a huge fan favorite for years. So this year, I decided to give it a mint chocolate chip twist for my birthday – because mint chocolate desserts are a birthday tradition!
The original mug cake is already wonderful as is, so I didn’t want to futz with it too much. All I did was add some extra chocolate chips to the batter (because the more chocolate the better, right?) and a dash of peppermint extract. So if you’re a big mint chocolate fan like I am, you’ll love how easy it is to whip up this delicious mini dessert!
Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is my go-to for simple cake recipes – just look at my almond cake recipe!
- Cacao Powder: I use raw cacao powder in most of my chocolate desserts. But any cocoa powder works as well.
- Egg: Since we’re using almond flour, the egg is needed as a binder to create a soft cake-like texture. Plus, it’s a wonderful protein boost!
- Chocolate Chips: I like using semi-sweet chocolate chips for baking as they’re not too sweet and not too bitter. But feel free to use what you like.
- Sweetener: You can use maple syrup or honey for this recipe.
- Coconut Oil: A little coconut oil keeps the batter moist. But you can sub in another cooking oil.
- Peppermint Extract: Since the peppermint flavor is key in this recipe I’ve linked my favorite peppermint extract in the recipe card below. I’ve tried several brands over the years and this is my favorite one!
Find the printable recipe with measurements in the recipe card below.
How To Make A Chocolate Mug Cake
Stir it all together. In a measuring cup (or any other separate mug), whisk together the almond flour, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, peppermint extract, and egg. Then, stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour and bake. Pour the batter into your final mug and microwave for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until the cake is cooked. Then, remove it from the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature to cool. It will be HOT!
Serve. Enjoy plain or top with a dollop of whipped cream and extra chocolate chips! Alternatively, you can add homemade powdered sugar as I did in my original mug cake recipe.
Mint Chocolate Mug Cake Tips
- Don’t use a large mug if you want it to rise close to the rim. Plus, it makes for a better presentation, especially when serving guests!
- You can mix everything in the final mug. But I find that it’s easier to mix it in a large measuring cup and it makes for a cleaner mug cake in the end.
- Play around with the cooking time. Each microwave heats differently, so some mug cakes may finish cooking in just 45 seconds. Less time in the microwave means they’ll be more moist and brownie-like.
- If you would like to use the oven instead of the microwave, you can bake this in a 3-inch ramekin at 375°F for about 20 minutes (depending on how hot your oven cooks).
Storage and Tips
- To store: If you have leftover mug cakes or want to save half for later, you can scoop out the cake and store it in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
- To freeze: Although fresh is best (especially since it requires little preparation), you do have the option of freezing this cake for up to 3 months. But to prevent freezer burn, wrap the cake in plastic wrap before storing it in an airtight freezer-safe container.
MORE CHOCOLATE Mint DESSERTS
Check out my 2016 recipe for background info on this little birthday tradition of mine!
- Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream (2022 birthday)
- Mint Chocolate Energy Balls (2021 birthday)
- Mint Chocolate Vegan Cheesecake (2020 birthday)
- Peppermint Truffles (2019 birthday)
- Mint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (2018 birthday)
- Chocolate Peppermint Slice (2017 birthday)
- Mini Skillet Brownies with Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (2016 birthday)
I hope you enjoy this mint chocolate chip mug cake as much as I do! If you make it, let me know how it turned out in the comment box below. Your review will help others in this community!
Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Stir everything together. In a measuring cup, whisk together the almond flour, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, peppermint, and egg. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour and bake. Pour the batter into your mug and microwave for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. See notes below. Remove it from the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes, as the cake will be very hot.
- Serve. Enjoy plain or top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Because all microwaves have different wattages, your cook time may vary. You can increase or decrease the cooking time depending on your texture preference – less time is more moist and brownie-like, and more time is more cake-like.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.