Arugula, Asparagus and Avocado Breakfast Salad
Posted by Lisa on January 3, 2016 / 12 Comments
The best breakfasts are those loaded with greens – and what better way to get “all the greens” than with a breakfast salad.
When I was 20 years old I lived in Heidelberg, Germany for several months. I enrolled in a study abroad program from Pepperdine University and chose Heidelberg for it’s centrally located position. You see, I had big plans. My “grand scheme” was to be in a different country every weekend…eating and traveling my way around Europe.
It worked. And in just a few short months (which whizzed by far too quickly), I visited over 16 countries! I fell in love with Tuscany, I ate my way through Paris, I became enamored with Belgium and I got kicked off the train by men with machine guns in Slovakia (oh yes! – and a story for another day!).
But even though the travel bug bit me hard, I did spend quite a bit of time in Germany as well, exploring, hiking and soaking it all in (and drinking far too much German beer, from a very, very large glass boot). *Note – this was pre-celiac days.
I also remember one particular weekend quite fondly, when a few of us students hopped on the train for a quick ride to Schwetzingen. Why the journey? Because the spargel festival was happening! And Schwetzingen is the spargel capital of the world!
Spargel are asparagus (in German) – and during harvest season, they’re celebrated in crazy, all-get-out fashion. Festivals with dancing, drinking, eating and games dot the countryside. It’s like a mini Octoberfest – they even crown a “spargel queen!” And in that weekend I ate enough spargel to not want to eat spargel ever again (well, at least not for another 6 months).
But to this day, I seriously can’t buy asparagus without saying “spargel!” It’s funny how certain things stick. And before I move on to the recipe….can I just freak out a little bit because those adventures in Heidelberg were nearly 20 years ago?! Someone please slow down time.
Okay, the recipe, the recipe. This breakfast salad is a delicious and nutrient-dense way to start your day – lots of greens! It’s loaded with arugula, spargel! (sorry, I can’t help myself), microgreens and avocado. And for protein, it’s balanced with the most perfectly cooked, soft-boiled eggs along with sunflower seeds, for added crunch. With the lemon vinaigrette drizzled on top, this breakfast will have you feeling energized, alert and healthy. A great way to start your day – and a new year!
- 20-25 stalks asparagus (I used asparagus tips as they're thinner)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup microgreens
- ½ avocado
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Wash and trim the asparagus. Cut into 1 to 1½ inch pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan on medium-high heat. Add the asparagus pieces, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of your stalks). Set aside.
- Heat a small pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and with a spoon, carefully add the eggs. Immediately set a timer for 6½ minutes for soft-boiled eggs (as you see pictured). If you'd like your eggs a little firmer, set your timer for 7 - 7½ minutes. Increase the heat until you reach a boil again.
- While the eggs are boiling, create an ice-water bath in a bowl.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
- When the eggs are done, remove them from the pot with your spoon and immediately submerge in the ice-water bath, to stop the cooking process.
- Assemble the salads by dividing up the arugula and microgreens between two bowls. Add the asparagus and sunflower seeds. Peel and slice the avocado, adding a ¼ avocado to each serving. Peel the eggs, slice in half and add to the salads. Drizzle the lemon vinaigrette on top.
Other recipe you might like: