How to Make Hemp Milk
Hemp milk is a delicious dairy-free, nut-free, plant-based milk. It’s naturally light, nutty in flavor, and only requires two ingredients. Just hemp seeds and water! But feel free to add a little sweetener and vanilla extract for a tasty and fresh milk that’s ready to drink!
With more people discovering that they’re lactose intolerant, or just want to be environmentally conscious, there’s been a rise in milk alternatives. From almond milk to soy milk to banana milk, the variations keep going.
If you’ve read my previous cashew milk recipe, you know how easy it is to make your own nut milk. But many have requested a nut-free, plant-based milk. So, I’ve decided to make one that’s a bit overlooked – hemp milk.
Hemp seeds are exceptionally nutritious and rich in high-quality plant protein, healthy fats, and minerals. And when it comes to turning those little seeds into milk, it couldn’t be easier.
Hemp Milk Recipe Video
While it’s incredibly easy to make this recipe at home, it always helps to watch a quick, step-by-step tutorial. I also show how I sweeten my milk in the video. Give it a watch below!
How To Make Homemade Hemp Milk
Did you know that homemade hemp milk only takes one minute to make? You’ll see in my video below how quickly this recipe comes together. So ditch those store-bought options and make it fresh. Here’s how to do it:
- Add the hemp seeds and water (plus any sweeteners) to a high powered blender
- Blend on high for a minute
- Pour into a storage container and refrigerate
Do You Need to Strain Hemp Milk?
It’s not required (like almond milk), but it does make it smoother. Hemp milk is nice and creamy and the seeds pulverize almost entirely in the blender. But you may see a little pulp sink to the bottom of your glass. Straining it with a nut milk bag before pouring it into your stored container helps to minimize this.
Making Flavored Milk
Hemp milk on its own has a natural earthy taste. I personally love it just the way it is, but if you’re looking to add a little more flavor, here’s a few ideas to try:
- Vanilla Hemp Milk: Add 2 tsp of vanilla and 1 tbsp of maple syrup, honey or 3 dates
- Chocolate Hemp Milk: Add 1 tbsp cacao powder and 1 tbsp of maple syrup, honey or 3 dates
- Matcha Hemp Milk: Add 1 heaped tbsp matcha and 1 tbsp of maple syrup, honey or 3 dates
How long does it last?
Homemade hemp milk lasts up to 5 days stored in the fridge. Although, it might be best to consume within the first 2-3 days for maximum freshness. But if you want to freeze it for future use, you can pour it into a silicone ice cube tray. Then, you can use these cubes for your next strawberry banana smoothie or chia seed pudding!
How To Make Hemp Milk (2-Ingredients)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, honey or 2-3 pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add hemp seeds, water, and any additional sweeteners to a high-powered blender.
- Blend for 1 minute or until the milk is nice and creamy.
- Pour the hemp milk into a sealable container (see my favorite in the notes below).
- Place it into the fridge and store it for up to 5 days.