How to Make Coconut Butter
Coconut butter is simply shredded coconut turned into creamy coconut butter. It’s just one ingredient – shredded coconut – and only takes one minute with a high-powered blender, like my favorite Vitamix.
You may not realize how incredibly easy it is to make coconut butter at home. So I’m here to tell you (and show you) just how easy it is. And the best part – it’s far more cost effective than buying it in the store.
What do you need to make coconut butter? Just one ingredient – shredded or flaked coconut.
By using the pure, raw flesh of the coconut you’ll have a creamy, smooth, rich coconut flavor spread that’s full of healthy fats, minerals and nutrients. You can then eat this straight from the jar or use it in numerous recipes – and I’ll give you a few ideas below.
Tips for the Best Coconut Butter
- When using your Vitamix to make coconut butter you need a minimum amount of shredded coconut in the blender to allow the blades to work properly. If you don’t have enough shredded coconut, you’ll just splat the ingredients to the side of the container and the blades will spin air. You need at least 6 cups of shredded or flaked coconut (though you can use up to 8 cups or a full container).
- You can use shredded coconut or flaked coconut (both unsweetened), either works just fine. Though I’ve found coconut flakes tend to make for a slightly smoother finished product.
- Remember that the tamper is your friend when it comes to many Vitamix recipes. Use the tamper to push the shredded coconut into the blades until a liquid has formed.
- When you first start blending some coconut will get pushed to the sides. Just scrape down the sides halfway through to ensure all of the coconut is near the blades. If you feel that your coconut butter is too thick, you can add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to thin the mixture and help the blades.
How to Make Coconut Butter in Your Vitamix
The benefits of making coconut butter in your Vitamix rather than a food processor is two-fold: 1) speed, and 2) smoothness.
It takes approximately 15-20 minutes to make coconut butter in a food processor and it takes 1 minute to make in a Vitamix. The power of the Vitamix motor also ensures an ultra creamy and smooth coconut butter. Far smoother than you’d ever get in a food processor.
In terms of consistency, the coconut butter will be fairly liquid immediately after its made, due to the heat and friction from blending. But it firms up as it cools. To soften it back up in the future, just place the glass container in a bowl of warm water and give it a stir.
How Do you Store Coconut Butter?
Unlike homemade nut butters which need to be stored in the fridge to prevent them from going rancid, homemade coconut butter can be stored at room temperature. Just place it in a sealed container in the pantry. You can store it for several months.
Ways To Use Coconut Butter
Coconut butter is frequently used in dessert recipes, like my Chocolate Peppermint Slice or Lemon Donuts with Blackberry Glaze. It can also be used when making fudge, ice creams, raw desserts and chocolate truffles.
Coconut butter can also be used in savory recipes such as curries and stews and dolloped on roasted veggies and sweet potatoes. It’s delicious as a spread on toast or added to your favorite green smoothie.
Watch this Quick Video of my Coconut Butter Recipe
More Easy Vitamix Recipes to Make
Coconut Butter Recipe
- 6 cups unsweetened shredded coconut or flaked coconut
- Optional: 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the shredded coconut or flaked coconut to your Vitamix. Add the lid, remove the cap and insert the tamper. Turn the Vitamix on high and use the tamper to push the coconut into the blades. You may need to scrape down the sides halfway through, then continue blending until it's creamy. For a smoother consistency, you can add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Pour the coconut butter into a glass storage container and store in the pantry.
This post was created in partnership with Vitamix, a brand I’ve used and loved for years. All thoughts and opinions are my own.