Roasted Cherry Cardamom Ice Cream (Paleo, Vegan, Dairy-Free)
This roasted cherry cardamom ice cream might just be my new favorite dessert. It’s sweet, aromatic, delicious…and also dairy-free, vegan and paleo.
I had no idea that July was National Ice Cream Month until a few days ago when I started seeing ice cream recipes everywhere on the interwebs. I mean, it makes sense (hello: summertime heat!) – but sometimes these national foodie days and months crack me up.
So I just did a little Google research and thought I’d give you the heads-up – tomorrow is National Milk Chocolate Day. Who knew?! To ensure you’re not left empty handed on National Milk Chocolate Day (which would be a total bummer), make sure you whip up my Chocolate Coconut Macaroons (ok, they’re not milk chocolate…but they’re made with raw cacao which is healthier!).
But back to ice cream! Not be left out during National Ice Cream Month (and with only a few days left to spare!), I set out to create the most scrumptious ice cream recipe yet – Roasted Cherry Cardamom Ice Cream.
I LOVE cherries and recently I’ve become obsessed with cardamom. It’s my new favorite spice! It’s an intensely aromatic spice with numerous health benefits. In fact, because it’s related to ginger, many of the health properties are the same – it’s a detoxifier, provides digestive support and is anti-inflammatory. Did you know that traditional medicine also lists cardamom as an aphrodisiac?! Hmmm, maybe you should tag this recipe for your next Valentine’s Day!
But there’s a few other reasons that this recipe is so divine – it’s dairy-free and egg-free! So if you have a dairy and/or egg allergy – you’re gonna love this!
After making my first “test batch” I decided to try it out with my family. Long story short, they polished off the entire container in about 10 seconds flat. Yep, I’d say we have a winner!
Happy National Ice Cream Month.
PS – if you love cherries like me, make sure to check out my Dark Cherry Smoothie Bowl recipe.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, add the cherries, maple sugar and cardamom. Stir to combine and evenly coat the cherries.
- Place the cherries on a small, rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, stir, then cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove the cherries from the oven and transfer the cherries and their juice into a glass container (I use this one). Slice the cherries with a knife, so they're approximately quartered in size. Place in the refrigerator.
- Add all of the ice cream ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer the ice cream base to a covered bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. The more chilled the better.
- Pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and proceed according to maker directions.
- Place half of the ice cream base into a small loaf pan, then spread half of the cherry mixture on top. Add the remaining ice cream and top with the remaining cherry mixture.
- Place in the freezer and freeze for at least 3-4 hours.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before eating to more easily scoop the ice cream.
Other dessert recipes you might like: