Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
Smoked salmon deviled eggs take a classic appetizer (deviled eggs) to a stunning new level. Filled with fresh herbs, salty smoked salmon and briny capers, each bite is loaded with palate-pleasing flavor.
Can one ever have too many deviled egg recipes? I think not! Deviled eggs are the perfect bite-sized appetizer that everyone loves. That’s why full platters at parties always disappear fast! And let’s be honest, you can’t beat the fact that they’re incredibly easy to make with simple hard boiled eggs and some of your favorite mix-ins.
I’ve now got several delicious variations of deviled eggs on the website (linked below). But today I’m incorporating one of my favorite ingredients – smoked salmon – for a version that’s extra fancy yet super easy to make. The smoked salmon adds salty, smoky oopmh to each egg and the fresh dill, lemon, and capers turn it into one deliciously fresh and satisfying bite.
Hint: with how good these are, you might want to make a double batch!
What’s In These Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
These little bites look impressive, but only require a few simple ingredients. Who doesn’t love that?
- Eggs: Half a dozen large eggs will do the trick.
- Mayonnaise & Dijon Mustard: The essentials needed to make that deliciously creamy filling.
- Shallot: The slight garlicky flavor of shallot adds a savory touch.
- Lemon Juice: Instead of vinegar or pickle juice, I’m using lemon juice for a bright, natural acidity.
- Dill: Fresh dill and salmon are the perfect combo!
- Smoked Salmon: Just grab a package of your favorite smoked salmon to keep this recipe easy peasy. I’m using wild Alaskan smoked salmon.
- Capers: A sprinkle of briny capers add to that layered flavor, and also beautifully dot the top of each egg!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How To Make Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
The key to nailing deviled eggs is to make the perfect batch of hard boiled eggs. You can watch how I do it in my boiled eggs video for reference. But once you’ve got that down, then comes the fun part.
Boil the eggs. Then let them cool in an ice water bath before peeling and slicing in half.
Make the filling. Scoop the yolks out into a bowl and mix it with the mayo, mustard, lemon juice, shallots, and dill.
Assemble the eggs. Spoon the filling back into each egg white. Then garnish it with a piece of smoked salmon, some dill, and a sprinkle of capers for the final touch!
Make Ahead And Storage Tips
Nothing beats an appetizer that can be made ahead of time! Just assemble the eggs (without the garnishing) and store them in a sealed container the day before. Then add all the good stuff on top the next day.
You can also make the boiled eggs two days in advance, then make the filling the day of. And if you have leftovers (which is very rare), they will keep for up to two days in the fridge.
More Deviled Eggs Recipes
For the many events and holidays throughout the year, there’s a deviled eggs recipe for it. Here’s a few delicious flavor ideas to switch it up every time!
And with extra eggs in the carton in your fridge, I’ve got more delicious ideas to whip up. From breakfast to dinner, there’s nothing eggs can’t do in this list of the best egg recipes!
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon capers
- extra dill for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low to ensure the water is no longer boiling. Use a skimmer to place the eggs in the water. Then increase the heat back to high and set a timer for 14 minutes.
- While the eggs are boiling, prepare an ice water bath and set aside. After 14 minutes, remove the eggs from the water and place in the ice water bath to chill. Once the eggs have cooled completely, peel them and slice in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the yolks into a small bowl and place the egg whites on a serving plate.
- To make the filling, add the yolks, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, shallot, dill, salt and pepper to a bowl. Stir everything together until it's completely smooth.
- Use a spoon to add a portion of the deviled egg mixture back into the hole of each egg white. Then place a small piece of smoked salmon to top on each egg, along with a sprinkle of capers and fresh dill.