Garlic Ginger Bok Choy
Bok choy can be prepared many ways but my favorite is a quick stir-fry with garlic and ginger. In less than 10 minutes you’ll have a tasty side dish that’s full of nutrients and anti-inflammatory health benefits.
Boy choy has always been one of my favorite side dish recipes. Why do I love it? It’s easy to prepare and the garlic ginger combination is so darn flavorful. I also love that a quick stir-fry makes the leaves tender but crisp. It’s that same crispiness you would expect from a vegetable from the cabbage family.
Also known as “Chinese Cabbage” there are several varieties of bok choy. But what you’ll find in the market usually comes in two sizes, regular bok choy and baby bok choy. Both are wonderful, but I tend to grab baby bok choy.
Bok Choy Recipe Video
Want to know how to make the tastiest bok choy recipe? Watch the quick tutorial video below!
The Health Benefits of Bok Choy
Bok choy truly is a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. It’s loaded with vitamin A, C and K and contains antioxidants which protect the eyes and a significant amount of calcium and magnesium for strong bones. As a cruciferous vegetable it provides the same health benefits of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts for cardiovascular health and fighting cancer.
And that’s not even considering the bonus anti-inflammatory benefits of both garlic and ginger! So next time you want a healthy green side dish, switch up your normal spinach, green beans and zucchini routine with this boy choy recipe.
How to Prepare and Cut Bok Choy
Similar to leeks, bok choy can sometimes harbor dirt and debris under its leaves. To prepare the baby bok choy cut it in half, then rinse it under the faucet. If you’re using regular size bok choy, you can cut a small portion off the base then remove the individual leaves to rinse.
Baby bok choy can be cooked as halves, but I’d recommend slicing regular bok choy into smaller pieces before cooking.
How to Cook Bok Choy
Because it only takes a couple of minutes to cook, make sure to have your fresh ginger and garlic already minced. Then just follow these steps:
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok or sauté pan
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the bok choy and use tongs to toss and stir-fry for 2 minutes
- Pour two tablespoons of water (or broth) into the pan, cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes more
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle a little sea salt and black pepper, stir and serve!
More Healthy Side Dish Recipes
- Garlic Sautéed Swiss Chard
- Mashed Cauliflower with Garlic and Herbs
- Green Beans with Shallots and Lemon
- Baked Sweet Potato
The BEST Bok Choy Recipe (Garlic & Ginger)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 baby bok choy, sliced in half
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper
- Heat the avocado oil in a wok or sauté pan on medium.
- Add the minced ginger and minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the bok choy and use tongs to turn and stir fry the bok choy in the garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Pour two tablespoons of water into the pan, cover and let cook for 2 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat, add salt and pepper and serve.
- It's much easier to turn and stir fry the bok choy with tongs rather than a spatula. My favorite tongs are these ones.