12+ Tasty Cabbage Recipes to Love
Wondering what to do with all your cabbage? Check out this list of the best cabbage recipes! From nourishing soups, to hearty salads, and tasty stir-fries, cabbage is undoubtedly a versatile ingredient in the kitchen.
Why Cabbage Should Be Part of Your Weekly Diet
Cruciferous vegetables always have a place in my kitchen, especially cabbage. One head, whether it’s green or red, will take you far not just in numerous (and ridiculously good) recipes, but also health-wise!
And if that doesn’t convince you, how about this – not only is cabbage incredibly easy to cook, but it will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. So whenever you need a nutrient-dense, veggie-heavy meal, put that head of cabbage to use!
Here’s a few reasons why I love cabbage:
- It’s relatively inexpensive. Given how many servings one head of cabbage produces, it’s relatively inexpensive! One small head can serve up to 6 people on its own. And when you add other ingredients in a soup or stir-fry, it can serve up to 8!
- It’s extremely versatile. Lots of vegetables are considered versatile. But cabbage is quite unique with how many different types there are. You can roll and stuff it, sauté the leaves, roast in wedges, and so much more!
- A great anti-inflammatory ingredient. Like many cruciferous vegetables, cabbage has a variety of antioxidants that can reduce inflammation. So if you have an autoimmune disease, gut disorder or other inflammatory conditions, it’s a good idea to incorporate more cabbage into your diet (after checking with your doctor of course).
- Nutrient and vitamin powerhouse! Cabbage leaves are bountiful in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, fiber, folate, and iron. So yes, cabbage is a powerful, healthy meal!
Best Cabbage Dinner Ideas
Cooking with cabbage is one of the best ways to bring out its natural sweetness. Cooking it with a simple butter, garlic, salt, and pepper mix is seriously good. So just imagine what it would taste like when you sauté it with bacon or ginger!
- Sautéed Cabbage: All you need are butter (or ghee), garlic, and onions to perfectly caramelize cabbage in this super easy side dish!
- Fried Cabbage: This is a personal favorite – because bacon. But there’s also hints of stone ground mustard and paprika that really brings sautéed cabbage to the next level.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage: This classic comforting Irish meal is just what you need to cozy up to on a cold day.
Cabbage Soup Recipes With A Tasty Twist
A big pot of cabbage soup is truly good for the soul – it tastes good and makes you feel good from the inside out. There’s the classic version made with tomatoes and mirepoix vegetables that never gets old. But there’s plenty of room for creativity here! Add in a variety of meats, legumes, extra-hearty vegetables, or even blend it up into a velvety soup. Here’s a few appetizing ideas.
- Best Cabbage Soup: When you need a light and healthy soup to sip on, you can always count on this classic cabbage soup.
- Red Cabbage Soup with Orange Sauce: Oh yes, you can boil and blend cabbage into this beautifully purple, creamy soup! And with the addition of beets, white beans, and fresh oranges, it’s quite the nutritional powerhouse.
- Cabbage Minestrone with Chickpeas: This brings your typical minestrone soup up a notch – with fewer ingredients! Simmered cabbage helps to sweeten the broth, while the veggie chickpea mixture creates a deliciously chunky texture.
- Farmhouse Cabbage, Sausage, and White Bean Stew: If you want to beef up your cabbage soup with meaty flavors, opt for ground pork! Then toss in a few pantry items like white beans and diced tomatoes for an easy peasy dinner made in less than 30 minutes.
The Best Cabbage Recipes In Salad Form
Cabbage salads are not only vibrant, but also durable (a benefit when it comes to meal prep). You can shred it into the most amazing slaws, slice into wedges spooned with savory toppings, or thinly slice pieces for a subtle crunch in your favorite salad.
- Pulled Pork, Cabbage, and Arugula Salad: Sliced red cabbage adds a bright pop of purple and crunch to this savory pulled pork salad.
- Warm Sweet Potato Noodles, Cabbage, and Lentil Salad: A super hearty, veggie-heavy salad, with a vegetarian protein boost!
- Classic Coleslaw: I love turning a head of cabbage into crunchy coleslaw! But if you’re not a fan of creamy coleslaw, try this vinegar coleslaw.
- Cilantro Lime Bacon Coleslaw: This cilantro lime version with savory bacon bits works so well in shrimp tacos, or on it’s own as a side dish!
For more veggie inspiration, check out my best zucchini recipes, sweet potato recipes, and best vegetarian recipes!
This is just a starting point to many more delicious cabbage recipes to come! And if you happen to give any of these a try, I’d love to hear what you think in a comment below!
12+ Tasty Cabbage Recipes to Love
- 4 cups pulled pork
- 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 recipe Citrus Lime Vinaigrette
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and drizzle the citrus lime vinaigrette over everything. Toss it all together and serve!