10+ tasty Cabbage Recipes you’ll Love
Sep 20, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
These cabbage recipes will give you lots of inspiration on what to do with a head of cabbage! From nourishing soups to hearty salads, and everything in between, cabbage is undoubtedly a versatile ingredient in the kitchen.
Why Cabbage Should Be Part of Your Diet
Cruciferous vegetables always have a place in my kitchen, especially cabbage. One head of cabbage, whether it’s green or red, will take you far not just in the variety of recipes you can make, but also health-wise!
And if that doesn’t convince you, how about this – fresh cabbage will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. So whenever you need a nutrient-dense, veggie-heavy meal, put that head of cabbage to use. Here are a few reasons why I love cabbage:
- It’s relatively inexpensive. Given how many servings one head of cabbage produces, it’s relatively inexpensive. One small head can serve up to 6 people on its own. And when you add other ingredients in a soup or stir-fry, it can serve up to 8!
- It’s extremely versatile. Lots of vegetables are considered versatile. But cabbage is quite unique with how many different types there are. You can roll and stuff it, sauté the leaves, roast in wedges, and so much more!
- A great anti-inflammatory ingredient. Like many cruciferous vegetables, cabbage has a variety of antioxidants that can reduce inflammation. So if you have an autoimmune disease, gut disorder or other inflammatory conditions, it’s a good idea to incorporate more cabbage into your diet (after checking with your doctor of course).
- Nutrient and vitamin powerhouse. Cabbage leaves are bountiful in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, fiber, folate, and iron. So yes, cabbage is a powerful, healthy meal.
Best Cabbage Recipes
There are many ways to cook cabbage, but to get you started, let’s highlight a few classic cabbage recipes. These are staple recipes that should all be in regular rotation in your kitchen, depending on the season.
Cabbage Soup: When you need a light, nourishing, and healthy soup to sip on, you can always count on this classic cabbage soup.
Corned Beef and Cabbage: The Irish sure do love their cabbage! And this comforting Irish meal is just what you need to cozy up to on a cold day.
Vinegar Coleslaw: If you’re not a fan of creamy coleslaw, whip up this fresh and tangy no-mayo version. Plus, it has shredded carrots for extra veggies and a hint of sweetness!
Fried Cabbage: This is a personal favorite, because let’s be honest, bacon makes everything better. But there’s also hints of stone ground mustard and paprika that really elevates sautéed cabbage to the next level.
Cabbage Sides and Salads
These cabbage sides and salads prove just how versatile cabbage can be. You can shred it into the most amazing slaws, slice it into cabbage steaks spooned with savory sauces, or thinly slice pieces for a subtle crunch in your favorite salad.
Cabbage Steaks: Roast cabbage steaks in the oven for crispy, caramelized edges, and a super tender inside. They’re endlessly versatile with toppings – check out the recipe for a bunch of ideas!
Warm Sweet Potato Noodles, Cabbage, and Lentil Salad: This is a super hearty, veggie-heavy salad, with a vegetarian protein boost. Perfect for fall and winter months!
This is just a starting point to many more delicious cabbage recipes to come! And if you happen to give any of these a try, I’d love to hear what you think in a comment below!
10+ Tasty Cabbage Recipes You’ll Love
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and drizzle the citrus lime vinaigrette over everything. Toss it all together and serve!
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe roundup originally posted January 2002, but updated to include new recipes.