Coleslaw dressing is a creamy, mayonnaise-based dressing for making delicious homemade coleslaw. You can use either a store-bought bag of coleslaw mix or shred the cabbage and carrots yourself. Healthy coleslaw is the perfect summer BBQ, picnic or party treat for all guests.
You can visit my Coleslaw recipe if you need more instructions for shredding your cabbage and grating carrots by hand.
What is Coleslaw Dressing Made Of?
Coleslaw dressing is made with mayonnaise, a sweetener (such as honey), apple cider vinegar, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Some coleslaw dressings are made with dairy (buttermilk), but I don’t think it’s necessary and prefer this dairy-free option.
My creamy coleslaw dressing recipe is also low in sugar and calories, compared to what you would get at a store or restaurant. This was by design. But if you want something a little more reminiscent of your favorite KFC coleslaw, add more sweetener.
My sweetener of choice is honey, but maple syrup works great as well. And either of those is better than the processed white sugar used in most traditional coleslaw recipes.
If mayonnaise-based coleslaw isn’t your thing, check out my recipe for Vinegar Based Coleslaw. You can also read more about the health benefits of cabbage there. Don’t let the mayonnaise fool you, cabbage is an amazing vegetable to have and keep in our diet.
What Should I Serve With Coleslaw?
My easy coleslaw recipe would serve up well with Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs, Honey Mustard Chicken or my BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. For gatherings, I’ll make my Slow Cooker Pulled Pork or grill BBQ Ribs which are a huge hit with the creaminess and crunch of coleslaw. Alternatively, if I’ve got slaw left over I may add them to my Shrimp or Fish tacos that I wrap with my gluten-free Cassava Tortillas.
Coleslaw Dressing Recipe (1-Minute Video)
Coleslaw Dressing (So Easy!)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup, (or more if desired)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds in a small bowl and whisk together. If you want the dressing to be sweeter, add another tablespoon of honey.
- Add a little bit of the dressing to the cabbage and carrots, then toss. Slowly add more dressing until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can store this coleslaw dressing for up to a week in a storage container in the fridge.