Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Updated Jul 23, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that you’ll instantly fall in love with! They have a soft, chewy inside, perfectly golden edges, and just the right amount of chocolatey goodness with every bite.
After quite a few test runs, I can honestly say these are the best gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. Similar to my vegan chocolate chip cookies, they’re ever so chewy, slightly crunchy, and dotted with gooey chocolate chips. And let me tell ya, that first bite is incredibly satisfying.
I’ve kept this recipe as simple as possible, because who wants a complicated cookie recipe when the sweet cravings hit? This means easy ingredients with easy steps to create the perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies. You’re welcome.
Ingredients For The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Unlike other gluten-free cookie recipes, there’s no strange add-ins like gums, stabilizers, or extra sugars. Just clean, wholesome ingredients! Here’s what you need.
- Coconut Oil: I’m using refined coconut oil so it won’t taste too coconut-y, but you can also use butter or ghee.
- Coconut Sugar: My go-to sugar option for baked goods.
- Egg: Just one large egg is needed for this recipe!
- Vanilla Extract: An essential baking ingredient for a touch of sweetness.
- Almond Flour: Yep, no complicated flours here – just almond flour!
- Sea Salt: A pinch to enhance the chocolatey goodness.
- Baking Soda: For a little fluff and improved texture.
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you could also use milk chocolate.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
All you need is 15 minutes to whip these babies up! To get started, preheat your oven to 400F/200C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Then follow along below.
- Whisk the first set of ingredients. That includes the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Add the almond flour, salt, baking soda and stir until combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Dollop the cookies onto the baking sheet. Use a medium cookie scoop (which is about 1 ½ tablespoons) to dollop 18 cookies. Then use your fingers to flatten the dough into cookie shape.
- Bake away! Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden. But be sure to keep your eyes on them!
Tips For The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Because it took a few tries to get this recipe just right, I’ve got plenty of tips for you to make sure this is a no-fail recipe. Here’s what I learned.
- Keep your eyes on the cookies. If you bake them one or two minutes over, it will make the cookies a bit crunchier and not as soft on the inside.
- Keep them all the same size. Use my favorite cookie scoop to ensure your cookies are uniform in shape. They’ll also cook more evenly!
- Make sure to flatten the cookies. Unlike other cookie recipes, these ones won’t flatten as they bake.
- The type of chocolate you use matters. When I baked these with dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, the chocolate didn’t melt as much to create that oozy effect when you break the cookie. So if that’s what you’re looking for, opt for milk chocolate.
- They’re super delish slightly warm. While you want to let the cookies cool to the touch, enjoying them slightly warm is heavenly. Especially when dunked in a cold glass of cashew milk or almond milk… hint hint.
How To Store Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- To store: Pack your leftovers in a bag or container, and they’ll keep for up to one week. You can store them either in the fridge or at room temperature.
- To freeze: If you want to save a few sneaky pieces more than one week, you can freeze them! Just make sure to place parchment paper in between each cookie and store in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will be good for up to 3 months.
- To defrost: Just let the cookies come to room temperature before eating.
More Easy Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
This chocolate chip cookie recipe is a classic. But if you’re craving something a bit more nutty or even more chocolatey, you’ll love these recipes:
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Mint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Cookies
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Video
Want to see how easy these cookies come together? Watch the video below!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla extract, until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the bowl, then stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tablespoons) dollop 18 cookies on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to flatten the dough into cookie shape, as the cookies will not flatten much on their own while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden on the edges.
- If you’d like extra large cookies, you could make 12 cookies (about 2 tablespoons each) on a single baking sheet. If you do that, increase the cook time by 1-2 minutes. Just be forewarned that they may slightly touch each other when baking.
- Note: based on feedback (thank you!), the salt in the recipe has been reduced to 1/2 teaspoon.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.