Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
Updated Aug 21, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This ham and broccoli breakfast casserole is a delicious combination to meal prep and enjoy for breakfast! It’s loaded with diced ham, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, and a touch of cheesy goodness.
You can say we’re big fans of breakfast casseroles here at Downshiftology. Just take a look at our ultimate breakfast casserole – it’s a reader favorite! That’s why I’m excited to share this spring-appropriate ham and broccoli version that was honestly a spur-of-the-moment recipe… all thanks to honey baked ham and veggie fridge leftovers!
But that’s the beauty of breakfast casseroles. They transform leftover ingredients into a breakfast beauty and are so easy to make. So the next time you need a breakfast idea to serve guests or want an easily reheatable breakfast for weekday mornings, give this ham and broccoli breakfast casserole a try!
Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Good news — this breakfast casserole doesn’t require that many ingredients. But if you want to add one more vegetable or switch up the meat, the choice is all yours!
- Eggs & Milk: Egg casserole necessities! For milk, you can use dairy or dairy-free milk. Just note that dairy milk will give your eggs a fluffier texture.
- Meat: If you have leftover ham from the holidays, use that! If not, you can purchase ham steaks to dice up.
- Vegetables: Aside from broccoli florets, I’m including diced onions and green bell pepper. But, feel free to use other veggies like asparagus, sweet potato, zucchini, or even green peas.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese is my go-to for casseroles, but you can use any kind really. For a dairy-free option, omit the cheese or use vegan cheese.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How To Make a Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
For this recipe, grab a 9×13-inch casserole dish. If your casserole dish is slightly smaller or bigger, that will work just fine. Then follow along below!
Cook the veggies. In a large pan, sauté the onion and bell pepper for about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and broccoli florets, and stir for another 3 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp-tender and vibrant green.
Add the filling ingredients. Transfer the onion and broccoli mixture to the casserole dish. Then add the diced ham and cheese, and stir everything together.
Make the egg mixture. Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until lightly frothy.
It’s time to bake! Pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 400°F (200°C). The center should be cooked through and with a slightly golden crust on top.
Slice and serve. Slice the breakfast casserole into squares, and if you’d like, garnish with freshly chopped herbs before serving.
- To eat throughout the week: Gotta love a make-ahead breakfast casserole! Store the slices in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Then reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- To freeze for later: You can also freeze leftovers to enjoy months later! Just make sure to separate the slices with parchment paper so they don’t stick together. When you’re ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight, then microwave a serving for 30 seconds or until warmed through.
More Breakfast Ideas
If you’re a breakfast lover like I am, I’ve got lots of tasty options in this list of breakfast ideas. But here’s a snapshot of a few favorites below!
- Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Spring Vegetable Frittata
- Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Shakshuka (or this Green Shakshuka!)
I hope this ham and broccoli breakfast casserole makes your mornings a bit easier (and more delicious!). If you give it a try, I’d love to know how it turned out in the comment box below.
Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
- Casserole Pan Here's a great casserole pan set if you need it!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 12 large eggs
- ⅓ cup milk (dairy or dairy-free)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets (from one head of broccoli)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and get a 9×13-inch casserole dish out. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and stir for 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and broccoli florets (make sure they're in bite-sized pieces and not too large) and stir for another 3 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp-tender and bright green.
- Transfer the onion and broccoli mixture to the casserole dish. Add the diced ham and cheese, then stir everything together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together, until lightly frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the ham and vegetables. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center is cooked through and the edges are slightly golden.
- Slice the breakfast casserole into squares, and if you'd like, garnish freshly chopped herbs before serving.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.