This pomegranate margarita is a festive twist to the classic margarita, perfect for Christmas and the holidays! It’s beautifully hued, naturally sweet, and the perfect addition to your winter cocktail collection.
If a classic margarita is your cocktail of choice, you’re going to love this merry and bright pomegranate margarita! It’s fruity and refreshing with the perfect balance of sweet and tart. And that gorgeous red hue will have everyone feeling joyous, especially during the holidays.
Pomegranate season may be short, but their sweetness goes a long way in a variety of recipes. Mix the seeds into a pomegranate guacamole. Bake them into a pear, pomegranate and maple crumble. Sprinkle them onto a roasted delicata squash salad. And last but not least, infuse them into a cocktail just in time for the holidays.
Pomegranate Margarita Ingredients
All you need to do is add pomegranate juice to your classic margarita ingredients. It’s that easy!
- Pomegranate Juice: Adds a festive and fruity touch to a classic recipe.
- Tequila: Choose a good Blanco or Reposado tequila for their shining agave flavor.
- Orange Liqueur: I like to use Cointreau, but feel free to use other brands.
- Lime Juice: Make sure to use fresh lime juice – it makes all the difference.
- Margarita Salt: This is optional, but that salty sweet combo is always a favorite of mine.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How To Make A Pomegranate Margarita
- Salt the rim of your glass (optional). On a small plate, add a few tablespoons of margarita salt. Slice a lime into quarters, rub it along the rim of your glass, and dip the glass into the salt.
- Stir everything together. Add the pomegranate juice, tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice to pitcher and give it a stir.
- Serve it up! Pour the margarita into glasses filled with ice. Then garnish with lime slices and fresh pomegranate arils.
Pomegranate Margarita Variations
- Make it sweeter. If you like your drinks on the sweeter side, you can add a little honey, or maple syrup.
- Add bubbles. Fancy some bubbles in your cocktail? Add a splash of club soda as the final touch.
- Make it extra fruity. Pomegranate pairs nicely with pineapple or cucumber flavors. Simply crush either ingredients at the bottom of your shaker before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
Making Ahead And Storing
If you want to make a pitcher of this for a larger crowd, it’s totally doable. Just double or triple the recipe ingredients and mix everything in a large pitcher that has a sealed lid.
And good news, this will keep for a few days in the fridge. So feel free to make this a day or two early.
More Holiday Cocktails
Keep the party going this holiday season with these delicious cocktails! They’ll pair beautifully with your favorite Christmas dinner recipes.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur (triple sec)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Garnish: margarita salt, pomegranate arils, and lime slices, for garnish
- If you'd like, salt the rim of your glass. Stir together the tequila, orange liqueur, pomegranate juice and lime juice in a small pitcher. Pour the pomegranate margarita into a glass full of ice. Garnish with lime slices, and fresh pomegranate arils.
- Make sure to use fresh limes for the lime juice and not bottled lime juice. The flavor difference is huge.
- If you're making a large batch, I recommend this break resistant pitcher (and it's big!).