Updated Jan 11, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
Turmeric tea is a warm and soothing blend of ground turmeric, lemon juice, and honey. It provides a good-for-you wellness boost, it’s easy to make at home, and it just tastes good!
No matter the season, it always makes sense to wrap your hands around a warm cup of turmeric tea. Similar to golden milk, it’s comforting and soothing, with a bold earthy flavor that’s slightly sweet. The tea’s vibrant color comes from turmeric, the golden-hued ground spice that gives curry its signature color.
It’s widely know that turmeric is an anti-inflammatory ingredient and possesses many health benefits – that’s why it’s a favorite of mine! I use the spice in many recipes from my jamu juice to turmeric smoothie, but this warm turmeric tea is especially soothing during the cold weather months.
Turmeric Tea Ingredients
While you can buy turmeric tea bags at the market, I love this easy homemade version. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Turmeric: I use ground turmeric in this recipe as it’s a staple item in my spice drawer and I always have it on hand.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice lends a bright pop of citrus flavor.
- Honey: I like my tea with a hint of sweetness. If you prefer, you can use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Black Pepper: Just a pinch of black pepper helps your body absorb the curcumin from the turmeric.
Can you use fresh turmeric instead of dried turmeric? Absolutely! Just grate about 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh turmeric root.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
How to Make Turmeric Tea
If you can boil water, you can make turmeric tea! There’s just three simple steps:
- Mix: Add the water, turmeric, lemon juice, honey, and black pepper to a small pot, then whisk together.
- Simmer: Bring the liquid to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Let the tea cool for a minute or two. Then pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
How to Customize Your Tea
Once you’ve got a handle on making this easy turmeric tea, you can tweak the recipe a bit and have a fun with it!
- Add spices: Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg or ground cloves for a toasty spice flavor.
- Add earthiness: Make this a more robust tea by adding a bag of chamomile tea or green tea to the pot while it simmers.
- Add citrus: Try swapping the lemon juice for freshly squeezed orange juice.
More Healthy Drink Recipes
When it comes to healthy drinks I’ve got plenty of options for you. Give some of these other recipes a try!
- Matcha Tea – A simple, energizing green tea.
- Green Smoothie – My go-to green smoothie recipe.
- Ginger Shots – Skip the store-bought wellness shots and make them at home.
- Elderberry Tea – Dried elderberries are simmered in this easy homemade version.
- Green Juice – A power-packed juice chock-full of nutrients.
I hope you enjoy this turmeric tea recipe! If you make it, I’d love to hear how it turned out in the comment box below. Your review will help other readers in the community.
Easy Turmeric Tea
- In a small pot, add water, turmeric, lemon juice, and black pepper. Whisk together and heat over high heat. When the tea just starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once the tea is finished simmering, turn off the heat, add the honey, and let the tea cool for a minute or two.
- Pour the tea into a mug through a strainer to remove the black pepper and enjoy.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally published September 2020, but updated to include new information for your benefit!