Best Green Smoothie Recipe
This green smoothie is a simple, healthy and nutrient-dense recipe that will fuel your mornings! From apples to spinach to bananas, these wholesome ingredients are a great way to sneak more greens into your everyday routine. Trust me, this is one drink you’re going to want to make again and again.
You’ve probably come across many healthy green smoothie recipes in your lifetime. But do you find that you’re extremely hungry right after – or that it lacks in flavor? Well, after doing lots of testing, I can definitely say I’ve created the perfect green smoothie.
So it’s time to ditch store-bought smoothies and blend your own right at home! Chances are, this one’s way more delicious and well-rounded with the right nutrients.
Green Smoothie Recipe Video
This is an easy smoothie recipe (especially in a Vitamix) and only takes a minute. Watch the video below to see how quickly it comes together!
Tips For A Healthy Smoothie
If you haven’t read my post on how to make the healthiest green smoothie, make sure to do that. But here’s a few quick tips:
- Add more greens: If you want that boost in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, use fresh produce from the market or your local farmer’s market. You don’t want wilted or dirty greens that lack in nutrients. A few leafy greens that blend well are kale, spinach, or chard. But, feel free to switch it up with celery, mustard greens, or romaine!
- Stick with a healthy liquid base: Since you’ll already be adding fruit into your smoothie, it’s best to not add any additional sugars with fruit juice. Instead, opt for water, coconut milk, or any nut milks such as almond milk or cashew milk.
- Mix up your fruits: For most people, 2:1 ratio between fruits and vegetables is a good rule of thumb. Some of my favorite fruits to slice and freeze are apples, bananas, strawberries, mangos, or pineapple.
- Don’t forget about healthy fats: If you didn’t know, healthy fats help absorb all the nutrients from the veggies and fruits – so this is crucial! You can do this simply by adding coconut oil, nuts, seeds, or 1/4 of an avocado.
- Boost with superfoods: While the 4 steps above make a perfectly good green smoothie, it doesn’t hurt to add additional superfoods or mix-ins, like I do on my post-workout green smoothie recipe. You can add spices such as cinnamon or ginger and superfoods like maca powder or bee pollen.
Green Smoothie Ingredients
While the the ingredient list is extremely flexible, here’s one of my favorite combinations that’s simple yet so delicious:
- Milk– 1 1/2 cup of milk, or any nut milk
- Spinach– 2 cups fully packed
- Banana– 1 banana (frozen is best)
- Apple– 1 apple sliced into pieces
- Avocado– 1/4 avocado
How To Make The Best Green Smoothie
Just toss the above ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for about 30 seconds. That’s it! By the end of it, you’ll have a deliciously creamy and vibrant smoothie.
- If you like your smoothies a bit thicker, add another 1/4 slice of avocado. If you like your smoothies a bit thinner or you’d like to save a few calories, you can substitute the milk with water.
- Don’t add ice cubes as it will dilute the smoothie. The best way to keep the smoothie cold is to use a frozen banana.
More Easy Smoothie Recipes
If you’re on the hunt for more smoothie ideas to throw into your weekly rotation, here are a few of my favorites:
- Apple Carrot Beet Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie
BEST Green Smoothie Recipe (5 Ingredients)
- 1 1/2 cup nut milk, or dairy milk
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 apple
- 1/4 avocado
- plus optional add-ins
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend for 30 seconds on high, or until creamy.
- Remember to freeze your bananas ahead of time! I cut my bananas in half and then store them in a Stasher bag in the freezer.