Updated May 23, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This blueberry smoothie is not only creamy, sweet and delicious, it’s loaded with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Made from just a handful of ingredients including blueberries, banana, coconut water, yogurt and flax seeds, it’s one of my favorite healthy smoothie recipes.
Drink it as a refreshing beverage or take it with you for an easy on-the-go breakfast.
So why do I love this particular smoothie recipe so much? Well, the color of the smoothie is a giveaway. All that vibrant blue and purple color means it’s loaded with anthocyanin – a potent antioxidant from the blueberries. But let’s dive into each ingredient.
Healthy Blueberry Smoothie Ingredients
- Blueberries: are one of the healthiest fruits because they’re so high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. They help fight cancer, lower blood pressure and boost your cardiovascular health.
- Banana: is both delicious and incredibly nutritious to our bodies. Bananas are known for their high quantity of potassium as well as a good dose of magnesium. Both of these nutrients are known to support heart and digestive health.
- Coconut water: is the ultimate in thirst-quenching hydration and loaded with electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. It’s also a lower-sugar alternative to fruit juice, like apple juice or grape juice.
- Greek yogurt: is thick and creamy and adds protein that will keep you full as well as bone-building calcium. And let’s not forget all the beneficial gut-happy bacteria that assist with digestive health.
- Flax seed: I’ve chatted about why I love flax seeds on my Flax Seed Crackers recipe, but these little seeds are loaded with protein, fiber and heart-healthy Omega-3’s. They also help to thicken the smoothie up.
How to Make a Blueberry Smoothie
Just toss everything into a high-powered blender and blend away! In 30-seconds you’ll have a thick, cold and luscious smoothie. Yes, it’s that easy.
But if you’d like a less-thick smoothie (i.e. non brain-freezing smoothie), you could always use fresh blueberries or a fresh banana. It’s up to you! You could also make this recipe dairy-free by swapping in a dairy-free yogurt, like my Coconut Yogurt.
Blueberry Smoothie Recipe Video
Want to see how easy it is to make this smoothie? Watch the video below!
More Smoothie Recipes to Enjoy
- Green Smoothie (The Best!)
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie
- Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
- Blend coconut water, blueberries, banana, yogurt and flax seeds together in a high-powered blender for 30 seconds, or until creamy.
- Many times frozen blueberries are cheaper to use than fresh blueberries. But if you have fresh blueberries, you could just pop those in the freezer for a couple of hours as well.
- You can use Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, like my Homemade Yogurt recipe. You could also use dairy-free Coconut Yogurt. It's quite adaptable.
- I love these double wall glasses as they keep the smoothie cold and not your hands! And stainless steel straws or glass straws are the best.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.