This blueberry smoothie is not only creamy, sweet and delicious, it’s loaded with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Made from just a handful of ingredients including blueberries, banana, coconut water, yogurt and flax seeds, it’s one of my favorite healthy smoothie recipes.
Drink it as a refreshing beverage or take it with you for an easy on-the-go breakfast.
I’m such a fan of simple smoothies with healthy ingredients. Green smoothies are what I drink most often, but let’s be honest, sweet fruit smoothies can’t be beat.
So why do I love this particular smoothie recipe so much? Well, the color of the smoothie is a giveaway. All that vibrant blue and purple color means it’s loaded with anthocyanin – a potent antioxidant from the blueberries. But let’s dive into each ingredient.
Healthy Blueberry Smoothie Ingredients
- Blueberries: are one of the healthiest fruits because they’re so high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. They help fight cancer, lower blood pressure and boost your cardiovascular health.
- Banana: is both delicious and incredibly nutritious to our bodies. Bananas are known for their high quantity of potassium as well as a good dose of magnesium. Both of these nutrients are known to support heart and digestive health.
- Coconut water: is the ultimate in thirst-quenching hydration and loaded with electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. It’s also a lower-sugar alternative to fruit juice, like apple juice or grape juice.
- Greek yogurt: is thick and creamy and adds protein that will keep you full as well as bone-building calcium. And let’s not forget all the beneficial gut-happy bacteria that assist with digestive health.
- Flax seed: I’ve chatted about why I love flax seeds on my Flax Seed Crackers recipe, but these little seeds are loaded with protein, fiber and heart-healthy Omega-3’s. They also help to thicken the smoothie up.
How to Make a Blueberry Smoothie
Just toss everything into a high-powered blender and blend away! In 30-seconds you’ll have a thick, cold and luscious smoothie. Yes, it’s that easy.
But if you’d like a less-thick smoothie (i.e. non brain-freezing smoothie), you could always use fresh blueberries or a fresh banana. It’s up to you! You could also make this recipe dairy-free by swapping in a dairy-free yogurt, like my Coconut Yogurt.
Watch My Quick Blueberry Smoothie Recipe Video
More Smoothie Recipes to Enjoy
- 2 cups coconut water
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Blend coconut water, blueberries, banana, yogurt and flax seeds together in a high-powered blender for 30 seconds, or until creamy.
- Many times frozen blueberries are cheaper to use than fresh blueberries. But if you have fresh blueberries, you could just pop those in the freezer for a couple of hours as well.
- You can use Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, like my Homemade Yogurt recipe. You could also use dairy-free Coconut Yogurt. It's quite adaptable.
- I love these double wall glasses as they keep the smoothie cold and not your hands! And stainless steel straws or glass straws are the best.